* `make emacs' recompiles?
@ 2013-11-12  7:57 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2013-11-12  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I did `make temacs' and it compiled the .c files and linked them.
Then I did `make emacs' and it compiled them again!  Why does this
happen?  Is it intentional?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation

* Re: `make emacs' recompiles?
@ 2013-11-12  9:13 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2013-11-12  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> I did `make temacs' and it compiled the .c files and linked them.
> Then I did `make emacs' and it compiled them again!  Why does this
> happen?  Is it intentional?

Did make say anything about clock skew or files stamps in the future?

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, schwab@suse.de
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE  1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7

* Re: `make emacs' recompiles?
@ 2013-11-13  2:00   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2013-11-13  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: emacs-devel

        [ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider
        [ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,
        [ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example.

    Did make say anything about clock skew or files stamps in the future?

I cannot tell now.  However, the clock on this machine is only about 4 minutes
away from correct.  Anyway, the source file times were generated on my machine
when I ran bzr, and I don't see how there can be clock skew within one
machine if you don't change the clock setting.

--

@ 2013-11-13  9:08     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2013-11-13  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> I cannot tell now.  However, the clock on this machine is only about 4 minutes
> away from correct.  Anyway, the source file times were generated on my machine
> when I ran bzr, and I don't see how there can be clock skew within one
> machine if you don't change the clock setting.

There can still be time stamps in the future, given how bad your clock
was.

Andreas.

--

@ 2013-11-21  7:57 ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2013-11-21  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:
> I did `make temacs' and it compiled the .c files and linked them.
> Then I did `make emacs' and it compiled them again!  Why does this
> happen?  Is it intentional?

I reproduced the problem and don't think it's intentional:
it was due to some convoluted timestamp logic when dealing
with the oldXMenu code.  I fixed the problem that I observed
and installed the fix as trunk bzr 115169.