* addpm.exe missing from installation
@ 2012-06-10 14:39 Christoph Scholtes
From: Christoph Scholtes @ 2012-06-10 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, Emacs-Devel devel

Hi Eli,

When building and checking the binary distribution for Emacs 24.1 I
noticed that addpm.exe was missing from the bin directory.

This was introduced in the following change (and has slipped through the
cracks in subsequent pretest builds since 24.0.95):

revno: 107676
committer: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
branch nick: trunk
timestamp: Sun 2012-03-25 20:17:46 +0200
message:
   Fix parallel "make install" on MS-Windows.

    nt/makefile.w32-in (install-bin): Don't copy addpm.exe here.

[snip]

The install-bin target should install all binary files in the bin folder
(incl. addpm.exe), while install-shortcuts should just _invoke_
addpm.exe to install the shortcuts.

For this release I can copy addpm.exe manually to bin before packaging,
but this should be fixed in the trunk.

WDYT?

Christoph

* Re: addpm.exe missing from installation
@ 2012-06-10 16:03 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-06-10 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Scholtes; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 08:39:30 -0600
> From: Christoph Scholtes <cschol2112@googlemail.com>
>
> Hi Eli,
>
> When building and checking the binary distribution for Emacs 24.1 I
> noticed that addpm.exe was missing from the bin directory.
>
> This was introduced in the following change (and has slipped through the
> cracks in subsequent pretest builds since 24.0.95):
>
> revno: 107676
> committer: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> branch nick: trunk
> timestamp: Sun 2012-03-25 20:17:46 +0200
> message:
>    Fix parallel "make install" on MS-Windows.
>
>     nt/makefile.w32-in (install-bin): Don't copy addpm.exe here.
>
> [snip]
>

> The install-bin target should install all binary files in the bin folder
> (incl. addpm.exe), while install-shortcuts should just _invoke_
> addpm.exe to install the shortcuts.

Sorry, I don't follow: aren't you invoking "make install"?  If not,
what Make command are you using that doesn't work?

The change I made moved addpm.exe installation from install-bin to
install-shortcuts, both of which are run by "make install".  The full
log entry reads:

	* makefile.w32-in (install-bin): Don't copy addpm.exe here.  Use
	$(DIRNAME)_same-dir.tst instead of same-dir.tst, to avoid stepping
	on other (parallel) Make job's toes.
	(install-other-dirs-nmake, install-other-dirs-gmake): Depend on `all'.
	(install-shortcuts): Depend on $(INSTALL_DIR)/bin.  Copy addpm.exe
	here.
	(maybe-copy-distfiles-CMD, maybe-copy-distfiles-SH, dist): Depend
	on create-tmp-dist-dir.

So copying of addpm.exe wasn't just removed, it was moved.  Granted, I
tested the change, and it worked for me.

In general, addpm.exe is not needed, unless one wants to create or
update the shortcuts, which is why I didn't hesitate to move that
command (in its previous place, it interfered with parallel execution
of "make install", which was the motivation for the change).

* Re: addpm.exe missing from installation
@ 2012-06-10 18:11   ` Christoph Scholtes
From: Christoph Scholtes @ 2012-06-10 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 6/10/2012 10:03 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Sorry, I don't follow: aren't you invoking "make install"?  If not,
> what Make command are you using that doesn't work?

No. When creating the binary distribution, I do not want to install the
shortcuts in my start menu. That was the main reason for creating the
install-bin target to allow to create an in-place installation from
which a distribution can be created without creating the shortcuts. make
install will run make install-bin and then install-shortcuts, so we get
the normal, expected behavior including shortcuts.

> The change I made moved addpm.exe installation from install-bin to
> install-shortcuts, both of which are run by "make install".

[snip]

> So copying of addpm.exe wasn't just removed, it was moved.  Granted, I
> tested the change, and it worked for me.

It does work indeed for make install, but make install-bin does not work
anymore as intended.

> In general, addpm.exe is not needed, unless one wants to create or
> update the shortcuts, which is why I didn't hesitate to move that
> command (in its previous place, it interfered with parallel execution
> of "make install", which was the motivation for the change).

We should include it in the binary distribution, right?

@ 2012-06-10 20:05     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-06-10 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Scholtes; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:11:17 -0600
> From: Christoph Scholtes <cschol2112@googlemail.com>
> CC: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> On 6/10/2012 10:03 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I don't follow: aren't you invoking "make install"?  If not,
> > what Make command are you using that doesn't work?
>
> No. When creating the binary distribution, I do not want to install the
> shortcuts in my start menu. That was the main reason for creating the
> install-bin target to allow to create an in-place installation from
> which a distribution can be created without creating the shortcuts. make
> install will run make install-bin and then install-shortcuts, so we get
> the normal, expected behavior including shortcuts.

So what are the commands you invoke when you prepare a binary
distribution?  Armed with that knowledge, I can find a way to keep
both "make install" and your procedure happy.

> > In general, addpm.exe is not needed, unless one wants to create or
> > update the shortcuts, which is why I didn't hesitate to move that
> > command (in its previous place, it interfered with parallel execution
> > of "make install", which was the motivation for the change).
>
> We should include it in the binary distribution, right?

Yes, definitely.

* Re: addpm.exe missing from installation
@ 2012-06-10 20:38       ` Christoph Scholtes
From: Christoph Scholtes @ 2012-06-10 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 6/10/2012 2:05 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> So what are the commands you invoke when you prepare a binary
> distribution?  Armed with that knowledge, I can find a way to keep
> both "make install" and your procedure happy.

Well, I actually just do `mingw32-make dist', which itself invokes
`install-bin' (but not `install-shortcuts').

>> We should include it in the binary distribution, right?
>
> Yes, definitely.

OK. Then I will manually add addpm.exe to the zip file and upload the
binaries for Emacs 24.1.

@ 2012-06-16 13:18         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-06-16 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Scholtes; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 14:38:04 -0600
> From: Christoph Scholtes <cschol2112@googlemail.com>
> CC: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> On 6/10/2012 2:05 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > So what are the commands you invoke when you prepare a binary
> > distribution?  Armed with that knowledge, I can find a way to keep
> > both "make install" and your procedure happy.
>
> Well, I actually just do `mingw32-make dist', which itself invokes
> `install-bin' (but not `install-shortcuts').

I think I fixed this in revision 108628 on the trunk.  Please test.

* Re: addpm.exe missing from installation
@ 2012-06-19  3:27           ` Christoph Scholtes
From: Christoph Scholtes @ 2012-06-19  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 6/16/2012 7:18 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Well, I actually just do `mingw32-make dist', which itself invokes
>> `install-bin' (but not `install-shortcuts').
>
> I think I fixed this in revision 108628 on the trunk.  Please test.

Works. addpm.exe is present in the latest weekly build from yesterday.
Thanks for fixing this!

Christoph