* how do I find out the syntactic status of a location?
@ 2012-03-15 16:44 Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2012-03-15 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I want to find out whether I am in a symbol, string, constant, comment
&c without knowing the details of the syntax of the specific mode, i.e.,
the code should work the same in, e.g., C and Lisp modes.
If font-lock is enabled, I can check that I am in a string or comment
using

    (memq (plist-get (text-properties-at (point)) 'face)
          '(font-lock-comment-face font-lock-string-face))

is there a better way?

thanks.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on Ubuntu 11.10 (oneiric) X 11.0.11004000
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://mideasttruth.com http://iris.org.il

* Re: how do I find out the syntactic status of a location?
@ 2012-03-15 18:53 ` Davis Herring
From: Davis Herring @ 2012-03-15 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> is there a better way?