* New hook for ERC
@ 2012-02-08 21:21 Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2012-02-08 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

I've been trying to "fix" the behavior of ERC's scroll-to-bottom module
by hooking into erc-insert-post-hook.  I thought that the state when
that hook is executed would be that point is back in the input area, but
it does not seem like it.

I need point to be in the input area (after erc-input-marker) when the
hook is executed to properly recenter the window.  I can't seem to find
a hook for when that happens, so I made a new one and run that hook as
the last thing that happens in the buffer in erc-display-line-1:

...snip...
	(erc-update-undo-list (- (or (marker-position erc-insert-marker)
				     (point-max))
				 insert-position)))
       (run-hooks 'erc-display-post-hook)))) ;; as such!

Then I add my own function to erc-display-post-hook as such:

(defun damd-erc-display-post-hook ()
   (let ((windows (get-buffer-window-list (current-buffer) nil 'visible)))
     (dolist (w windows)
       (when (>= (point) erc-input-marker)
         (with-selected-window w
           (recenter -1))))))
(add-hook 'erc-display-post-hook 'damd-erc-display-post-hook)

Is there any way to do this without introducing yet another hook like I
just did?  If not, can I add the hook to trunk?

Deniz

* Re: New hook for ERC
@ 2012-02-08 22:23 ` Antoine Levitt
From: Antoine Levitt @ 2012-02-08 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

08/02/12 22:21, Deniz Dogan
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to "fix" the behavior of ERC's scroll-to-bottom
> module by hooking into erc-insert-post-hook.  I thought that the state
> when that hook is executed would be that point is back in the input
> area, but it does not seem like it.

Hi,

What's your plan for scroll-to-bottom in ERC? Why do you need this hook
in addition to the existing one? scroll-to-bottom in its current state
is clearly suboptimal, and it has a pretty excessive CPU consumption
when repeating characters.

(I've also been looking for an emacs-wide replacement, without much
success. This would be something that says : emacs is not allowed to
display anything past the end of a buffer, period - except when the
buffer is not long enough. Just like every other software does. This is
one of the things that bother me the most about emacs.)

* Re: New hook for ERC
@ 2012-02-08 23:32   ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2012-02-08 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2012-02-08 23:23, Antoine Levitt wrote:
> 08/02/12 22:21, Deniz Dogan
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been trying to "fix" the behavior of ERC's scroll-to-bottom
>> module by hooking into erc-insert-post-hook.  I thought that the state
>> when that hook is executed would be that point is back in the input
>> area, but it does not seem like it.
>
> Hi,
>
> What's your plan for scroll-to-bottom in ERC? Why do you need this hook
> in addition to the existing one? scroll-to-bottom in its current state
> is clearly suboptimal, and it has a pretty excessive CPU consumption
> when repeating characters.

I don't really have a fully thought-out plan yet, but I believe the new
hook is necessary, because the other hooks are run when the point has
moved away from its original position.  At least I couldn't figure out
how to write code that worked with those hooks.

Having looked at the code for scroll-to-bottom just now, I see that it
uses post-command-hook, which is obviously not an acceptable solution
for the reason that you mention.

A good compromise, in my opinion, would be to basically _not_ "scroll to
bottom" on every single character insertion.  With the addition of the
post-display hook, when the user hits RET, the message will be sent, ERC
will display that message, the new hook will run, and it will be
recentered to the bottom again.  This method is something I've
personally used in rcirc for quite some time and I'm very happy with it.

> (I've also been looking for an emacs-wide replacement, without much
> success. This would be something that says : emacs is not allowed to
> display anything past the end of a buffer, period - except when the
> buffer is not long enough. Just like every other software does. This is
> one of the things that bother me the most about emacs.)

I agree with you very much on this point!

* Re: New hook for ERC
@ 2012-02-08 23:53 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2012-02-08 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Deniz Dogan <deniz@dogan.se> writes:

> I've been trying to "fix" the behavior of ERC's scroll-to-bottom
> module by hooking into erc-insert-post-hook.  I thought that the state
> when that hook is executed would be that point is back in the input
> area, but it does not seem like it.
>
> I need point to be in the input area (after erc-input-marker) when the
> hook is executed to properly recenter the window.  I can't seem to
> find a hook for when that happens, so I made a new one and run that
> hook as the last thing that happens in the buffer in
> erc-display-line-1:

I use a hook in exactly this place in my copy of ERC, though I named it
`erc-insert-completed-hook' (cf. erc-send-{post,completed}-hook).

* Re: New hook for ERC
@ 2012-02-08 23:56   ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2012-02-08 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2012-02-09 00:53, Johan Bockgård wrote:
> Deniz Dogan<deniz@dogan.se>  writes:
>
>> I've been trying to "fix" the behavior of ERC's scroll-to-bottom
>> module by hooking into erc-insert-post-hook.  I thought that the state
>> when that hook is executed would be that point is back in the input
>> area, but it does not seem like it.
>>
>> I need point to be in the input area (after erc-input-marker) when the
>> hook is executed to properly recenter the window.  I can't seem to
>> find a hook for when that happens, so I made a new one and run that
>> hook as the last thing that happens in the buffer in
>> erc-display-line-1:
>
> I use a hook in exactly this place in my copy of ERC, though I named it
> `erc-insert-completed-hook' (cf. erc-send-{post,completed}-hook).

Do you use it for the same thing or is your use-case different?

* Emacs scrolling past the end of buffer (was: New hook for ERC)
@ 2012-02-09 10:06     ` Antoine Levitt
From: Antoine Levitt @ 2012-02-09 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

09/02/12 00:32, Deniz Dogan
> On 2012-02-08 23:23, Antoine Levitt wrote:
>> 08/02/12 22:21, Deniz Dogan
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've been trying to "fix" the behavior of ERC's scroll-to-bottom
>>> module by hooking into erc-insert-post-hook.  I thought that the state
>>> when that hook is executed would be that point is back in the input
>>> area, but it does not seem like it.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What's your plan for scroll-to-bottom in ERC? Why do you need this hook
>> in addition to the existing one? scroll-to-bottom in its current state
>> is clearly suboptimal, and it has a pretty excessive CPU consumption
>> when repeating characters.
>>

> I don't really have a fully thought-out plan yet, but I believe the
> new hook is necessary, because the other hooks are run when the point
> has moved away from its original position.  At least I couldn't figure
> out how to write code that worked with those hooks.
>
> Having looked at the code for scroll-to-bottom just now, I see that it
> uses post-command-hook, which is obviously not an acceptable solution
> for the reason that you mention.
>
> A good compromise, in my opinion, would be to basically _not_ "scroll
> to bottom" on every single character insertion.  With the addition of
> the post-display hook, when the user hits RET, the message will be
> sent, ERC will display that message, the new hook will run, and it
> will be recentered to the bottom again.  This method is something I've
> personally used in rcirc for quite some time and I'm very happy with
> it.

But then it sometimes happen that you see past the end of the buffer
when scrolling (the horror!). I'd rather have excessive CPU consumption.

>> (I've also been looking for an emacs-wide replacement, without much
>> success. This would be something that says : emacs is not allowed to
>> display anything past the end of a buffer, period - except when the
>> buffer is not long enough. Just like every other software does. This is
>> one of the things that bother me the most about emacs.)
>>

> I agree with you very much on this point!

What do the emacs experts think about this? Is it doable?

* Re: Emacs scrolling past the end of buffer
@ 2012-02-09 12:01       ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2012-02-09 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Antoine Levitt skrev 2012-02-09 11:06:
> 09/02/12 00:32, Deniz Dogan
>> A good compromise, in my opinion, would be to basically _not_ "scroll
>> to bottom" on every single character insertion.  With the addition of
>> the post-display hook, when the user hits RET, the message will be
>> sent, ERC will display that message, the new hook will run, and it
>> will be recentered to the bottom again.  This method is something I've
>> personally used in rcirc for quite some time and I'm very happy with
>> it.
>
> But then it sometimes happen that you see past the end of the buffer
> when scrolling (the horror!). I'd rather have excessive CPU consumption.

Fair enough!  This makes me wonder, though, whether there is any other
useful hook we can use in combination with my suggestion, to properly
recenter whenever point goes outside of the currently viewed part of the
buffer.

* Re: New hook for ERC
@ 2012-02-09 21:29     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-02-09 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: emacs-devel

Deniz Dogan <deniz@dogan.se> writes:

>> (I've also been looking for an emacs-wide replacement, without much
>> success. This would be something that says : emacs is not allowed to
>> display anything past the end of a buffer, period - except when the
>> buffer is not long enough. Just like every other software does. This is
>> one of the things that bother me the most about emacs.)
>
> I agree with you very much on this point!

The horror.  You both want `C-v' (and friends) to make no guarantee
where the next line you're supposed to read is?  That's as broken as
Firefox is.

  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Sent from my Rome

* Re: New hook for ERC
@ 2012-02-09 22:41       ` Antoine Levitt
From: Antoine Levitt @ 2012-02-09 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

09/02/12 22:29, Lars Ingebrigtsen
> Deniz Dogan <deniz@dogan.se> writes:
>
>>> (I've also been looking for an emacs-wide replacement, without much
>>> success. This would be something that says : emacs is not allowed to
>>> display anything past the end of a buffer, period - except when the
>>> buffer is not long enough. Just like every other software does. This is
>>> one of the things that bother me the most about emacs.)
>>
>> I agree with you very much on this point!
>
> The horror.  You both want `C-v' (and friends) to make no guarantee
> where the next line you're supposed to read is?  That's as broken as
> Firefox is.

Yes. It definitely makes more sense in several modes (erc, everything
comint), and I'd rather have it as well in the editing modes.

* Re: Emacs scrolling past the end of buffer
@ 2012-02-12 16:37       ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2012-02-12 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2012-02-09 11:06, Antoine Levitt wrote:
> 09/02/12 00:32, Deniz Dogan
>> On 2012-02-08 23:23, Antoine Levitt wrote:
>>> 08/02/12 22:21, Deniz Dogan

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> What's your plan for scroll-to-bottom in ERC? Why do you need this hook
>>> in addition to the existing one? scroll-to-bottom in its current state
>>> is clearly suboptimal, and it has a pretty excessive CPU consumption
>>> when repeating characters.
>>>

>> I don't really have a fully thought-out plan yet, but I believe the
>> new hook is necessary, because the other hooks are run when the point
>> has moved away from its original position.  At least I couldn't figure
>> out how to write code that worked with those hooks.
>>
>> Having looked at the code for scroll-to-bottom just now, I see that it
>> uses post-command-hook, which is obviously not an acceptable solution
>> for the reason that you mention.
>>
>> A good compromise, in my opinion, would be to basically _not_ "scroll
>> to bottom" on every single character insertion.  With the addition of
>> the post-display hook, when the user hits RET, the message will be
>> sent, ERC will display that message, the new hook will run, and it
>> will be recentered to the bottom again.  This method is something I've
>> personally used in rcirc for quite some time and I'm very happy with
>> it.
>
> But then it sometimes happen that you see past the end of the buffer
> when scrolling (the horror!). I'd rather have excessive CPU consumption.

What if we combine this with a function in `window-scroll-functions'?  I
haven't thought it through completely, but my gut feeling says it should
be possible.

* Re: Emacs scrolling past the end of buffer
@ 2012-02-12 16:45         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-02-12 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 17:37:08 +0100
> From: Deniz Dogan <deniz@dogan.se>
>
> > But then it sometimes happen that you see past the end of the buffer
> > when scrolling (the horror!). I'd rather have excessive CPU consumption.
> >

> What if we combine this with a function in `window-scroll-functions'?

Please make sure that no code that runs off `window-scroll-functions'
tries to affect the display.  Functions run by that hook should treat
the display as "read-only".

* Re: Emacs scrolling past the end of buffer
@ 2012-02-12 19:52           ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2012-02-12 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 2012-02-12 17:45, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 17:37:08 +0100
>> From: Deniz Dogan<deniz@dogan.se>
>>
>>> But then it sometimes happen that you see past the end of the buffer
>>> when scrolling (the horror!). I'd rather have excessive CPU consumption.
>>>

>> What if we combine this with a function in `window-scroll-functions'?
>
> Please make sure that no code that runs off `window-scroll-functions'
> tries to affect the display.  Functions run by that hook should treat
> the display as "read-only".

Yeah, I noticed the warning in the manual and function docstring, but
there was no explanation as to why.  Is this to avoid recursive
execution of the hooks?

* Re: Emacs scrolling past the end of buffer
@ 2012-02-12 21:11             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-02-12 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 20:52:41 +0100
> From: Deniz Dogan <deniz@dogan.se>
> CC: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > Please make sure that no code that runs off `window-scroll-functions'
> > tries to affect the display.  Functions run by that hook should treat
> > the display as "read-only".
>
> Yeah, I noticed the warning in the manual and function docstring, but
> there was no explanation as to why.  Is this to avoid recursive
> execution of the hooks?

Mostly to uphold the assumptions which the code that runs
`window-scroll-functions' relies on: that the visible portion of the
window does not change across this call.