* cannot build bzr tip on mingw
@ 2011-05-02 19:47 Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2011-05-02 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

$ ./configure.bat --no-debug --with-gcc --cflags -IC:/gnu/gnuwin32/include --ldflags -LC:/gnu/gnuwin32/lib  --without-xpm
$ make bootstrap
gcc -o oo-spd/i386/make-docfile.exe    -mno-cygwin -LC:/gnu/gnuwin32/lib oo-spd/i386/make-docfile.o oo-spd/i386/ntlib.o   -ladvapi32
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find crt2.o: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmingw32
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmoldname
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmingwex
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmsvcrt
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmingw32
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmingw32
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmoldname
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmingwex
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmsvcrt
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [oo-spd/i386/make-docfile.exe] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/sds/src/emacs/trunk/lib-src'
make: *** [bootstrap-gmake] Error 2

Incidentally, I am using
gcc (GCC) 3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)
and I am wondering if using gcc4 is an option.

thanks!

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on CentOS release 5.6 (Final) X 11.0.60900031
http://dhimmi.com http://thereligionofpeace.com http://truepeace.org

* Re: cannot build bzr tip on mingw
@ 2011-05-02 20:31 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-05-02 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sds; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org>
> Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 15:47:01 -0400
>
> $ ./configure.bat --no-debug --with-gcc --cflags -IC:/gnu/gnuwin32/include --ldflags -LC:/gnu/gnuwin32/lib  --without-xpm

Do you always configure like that, or did something change since the
last time you bootstrapped?

> $ make bootstrap
> gcc -o oo-spd/i386/make-docfile.exe    -mno-cygwin -LC:/gnu/gnuwin32/lib oo-spd/i386/make-docfile.o oo-spd/i386/ntlib.o   -ladvapi32
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crt2.o: No such file or directory
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmingw32
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmoldname
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmingwex
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmsvcrt
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmingw32
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmingw32
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmoldname
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmingwex
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmsvcrt
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[1]: *** [oo-spd/i386/make-docfile.exe] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/sds/src/emacs/trunk/lib-src'
> make: *** [bootstrap-gmake] Error 2

I don't get these errors when linking make-docfile.exe, but I didn't
do a bootstrap.  (Not sure why it should matter, though.)

What does the following command display?

    gcc -print-file-name=libmingw32.a

> Incidentally, I am using
> gcc (GCC) 3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)
> and I am wondering if using gcc4 is an option.

I'm using

    gcc (GCC) 3.4.2 (mingw-special)

and won't touch gcc4 with a 3-mile stick, until 4.6.x gets mature
enough, and I can have my debugging together with -O2 again, like I
had with 2.7.x and 2.8.x.

But yes, you can use GCC 4, modulo the caveats in etc/PROBLEMS.

* Re: cannot build bzr tip on mingw
@ 2011-05-02 20:40   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-05-02 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sds, emacs-devel

> Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 23:31:59 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > gcc -o oo-spd/i386/make-docfile.exe    -mno-cygwin -LC:/gnu/gnuwin32/lib oo-spd/i386/make-docfile.o oo-spd/i386/ntlib.o   -ladvapi32 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Btw, is it supposed to work to invoke the Cygwin compiler with Windows
style C:/foo/bar file names?

* Re: cannot build bzr tip on mingw
@ 2011-05-02 21:13   ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2011-05-02 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org>
>> Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 15:47:01 -0400
>>
>> $ ./configure.bat --no-debug --with-gcc --cflags -IC:/gnu/gnuwin32/include --ldflags -LC:/gnu/gnuwin32/lib  --without-xpm
>
> Do you always configure like that, or did something change since the
> last time you bootstrapped?

this is the way I always configure.

> What does the following command display?
>
>    gcc -print-file-name=libmingw32.a

libmingw32.a

> But yes, you can use GCC 4, modulo the caveats in etc/PROBLEMS.

how, given that it no longer supports -mno-cygwin?

> Btw, is it supposed to work to invoke the Cygwin compiler with Windows
> style C:/foo/bar file names?

yes, absolutely.

--

@ 2011-05-02 22:08     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2011-05-02 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Steingold; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel@gnu.org

On 5/2/2011 5:13 PM, Sam Steingold wrote:
> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Eli Zaretskii<eliz@gnu.org>  wrote:
>> But yes, you can use GCC 4, modulo the caveats in etc/PROBLEMS.
>
> how, given that it no longer supports -mno-cygwin?

The -mno-cygwin option is being phased out in favor of a genuine
cygwin-mingw cross compiler.  The latter (gcc-4.5.1) will be officially
available in about a month, but you can get it now if you don't want to
wait.  See

   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2011-04/msg00015.html

for instructions.

* Re: cannot build bzr tip on mingw
@ 2011-05-02 22:21       ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2011-05-02 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Brown; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel@gnu.org

> * Ken Brown <xoebja@pbearyy.rqh> [2011-05-02 18:08:55 -0400]:
>
> On 5/2/2011 5:13 PM, Sam Steingold wrote:
>> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Eli Zaretskii<eliz@gnu.org>  wrote:
>>> But yes, you can use GCC 4, modulo the caveats in etc/PROBLEMS.
>> how, given that it no longer supports -mno-cygwin?
>
> The -mno-cygwin option is being phased out in favor of a genuine
> cygwin-mingw cross compiler.

I have seen this phrase, but I don't know what a "genuine cross compiler" is.

Specifically, what is the magic incantation which I should use instead
of "gcc -mno-cygwin" at the command line to produce a non-cygwin (pure
native woe32/64) executable?

Next, what is the magic incantation which I should use instead of
./configure.bat --no-debug --with-gcc --cflags -IC:/gnu/gnuwin32/include --ldflags -LC:/gnu/gnuwin32/lib --without-xpm
to configure emacs to use this "genuine cross compiler"?

Penultimately, DIUC that with an autoconf-generated configure script the
right way to configure a package to be cross-built is
./configure --build arch-vendor-os

Finally, will this produce a valid windows (XP 64-bit) emacs on linux:
./configure --build x86_64-w64-mingw32

Thanks!

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on CentOS release 5.6 (Final) X 11.0.60900031
http://openvotingconsortium.org http://pmw.org.il http://iris.org.il

* Re: cannot build bzr tip on mingw
@ 2011-05-03  0:15       ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2011-05-03  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 03/05/2011 06:08, Ken Brown wrote:

> The -mno-cygwin option is being phased out in favor of a genuine
> cygwin-mingw cross compiler.

Will that work for compiling Emacs? I don't think the makefiles are set
up for cross compiling, and the Windows one's definitely aren't.

* Re: cannot build bzr tip on mingw
@ 2011-05-03  2:47         ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2011-05-03  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sds@gnu.org; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel@gnu.org

On 5/2/2011 6:21 PM, Sam Steingold wrote:
>> * Ken Brown<xoebja@pbearyy.rqh>  [2011-05-02 18:08:55 -0400]:

>>> how, given that it no longer supports -mno-cygwin?
>>
>> The -mno-cygwin option is being phased out in favor of a genuine
>> cygwin-mingw cross compiler.
>
> I have seen this phrase, but I don't know what a "genuine cross compiler" is.
>
> Specifically, what is the magic incantation which I should use instead
> of "gcc -mno-cygwin" at the command line to produce a non-cygwin (pure
> native woe32/64) executable?
>
> Next, what is the magic incantation which I should use instead of
> ./configure.bat --no-debug --with-gcc --cflags -IC:/gnu/gnuwin32/include --ldflags -LC:/gnu/gnuwin32/lib --without-xpm
> to configure emacs to use this "genuine cross compiler"?
>
> Penultimately, DIUC that with an autoconf-generated configure script the
> right way to configure a package to be cross-built is
> ./configure --build arch-vendor-os
>
> Finally, will this produce a valid windows (XP 64-bit) emacs on linux:
> ./configure --build x86_64-w64-mingw32

I'm sorry, but I really don't anything about cross compilers.  I was
simply passing on the information that (in principle) it should be
possible to use the new cross compiler instead of 'gcc -mno-cygwin' to
produce a native windows executable.  Others on the list (Angelo?) might
be able to give you details.

I can tell you that the cross compiler (for 32-bit windows) is called
i686-pc-mingw32-gcc.exe and is in the Cygwin package mingw-gcc-core,
which can be installed by following the instructions in the link I sent
you.  There's is also a cross compiler for 64-bit windows, which has
been available for some time now, in the package mingw64-x86_64-gcc-core.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

* Re: cannot build bzr tip on mingw
@ 2011-05-03  3:00     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-05-03  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Steingold; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 17:13:53 -0400
> From: Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> >> From: Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org>
> >> Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 15:47:01 -0400
> >>
> >> $ ./configure.bat --no-debug --with-gcc --cflags -IC:/gnu/gnuwin32/include --ldflags -LC:/gnu/gnuwin32/lib  --without-xpm
> >
> > Do you always configure like that, or did something change since the
> > last time you bootstrapped?
>
> this is the way I always configure.

Then something else changed on your machine, because the compiler is
now unusable:

> > What does the following command display?
> >
> >    gcc -print-file-name=libmingw32.a
>
> libmingw32.a

This means it didn't find it in any of the places it knows to look.
When it finds the library, it displays its full absolute file name,
like this, for example (from my machine):

  D:/usr/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/../../../libmingw32.a

You need to find out what changed on your machine lately that causes
this problem.  Perhaps some environment variables or a change in
directory structure, or some Cygwin-specific change?

> > But yes, you can use GCC 4, modulo the caveats in etc/PROBLEMS.
>
> how, given that it no longer supports -mno-cygwin?

Why, by installing the native MinGW port of GCC, of course.  The
Cygwin project doesn't really care about the native builds, so relying
on it for native builds is not a good idea in the long run.

* Re: cannot build bzr tip on mingw
@ 2011-05-03 11:16       ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2011-05-03 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Sam Steingold, emacs-devel@gnu.org

On 5/2/2011 11:00 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> You need to find out what changed on your machine lately that causes
> this problem.  Perhaps some environment variables or a change in
> directory structure, or some Cygwin-specific change?

There was a recent Cygwin change that's part of the transition away from
'gcc -mno-cygwin' that I mentioned elsewhere in this thread.  If Sam did
a recent Cygwin update, then 'gcc -mno-cygwin' would be temporarily
broken.  The link

   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2011-04/msg00015.html

that I gave earlier explains how to fix it.

* Re: cannot build bzr tip on mingw
@ 2011-05-04 21:30           ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2011-05-04 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sds@gnu.org; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel@gnu.org

On 5/2/2011 10:47 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 5/2/2011 6:21 PM, Sam Steingold wrote:
>>> * Ken Brown<xoebja@pbearyy.rqh>   [2011-05-02 18:08:55 -0400]:

>>> The -mno-cygwin option is being phased out in favor of a genuine
>>> cygwin-mingw cross compiler.
>>
>> I have seen this phrase, but I don't know what a "genuine cross compiler" is.
>>
>> Specifically, what is the magic incantation which I should use instead
>> of "gcc -mno-cygwin" at the command line to produce a non-cygwin (pure
>> native woe32/64) executable?
>>
>> Next, what is the magic incantation which I should use instead of
>> ./configure.bat --no-debug --with-gcc --cflags -IC:/gnu/gnuwin32/include --ldflags -LC:/gnu/gnuwin32/lib --without-xpm
>> to configure emacs to use this "genuine cross compiler"?
>>
>> Penultimately, DIUC that with an autoconf-generated configure script the
>> right way to configure a package to be cross-built is
>> ./configure --build arch-vendor-os
>>
>> Finally, will this produce a valid windows (XP 64-bit) emacs on linux:
>> ./configure --build x86_64-w64-mingw32
>
> I'm sorry, but I really don't anything about cross compilers.  I was
> simply passing on the information that (in principle) it should be
> possible to use the new cross compiler instead of 'gcc -mno-cygwin' to
> produce a native windows executable.  Others on the list (Angelo?) might
> be able to give you details.
>
> I can tell you that the cross compiler (for 32-bit windows) is called
> i686-pc-mingw32-gcc.exe and is in the Cygwin package mingw-gcc-core,
> which can be installed by following the instructions in the link I sent
> you.  There's is also a cross compiler for 64-bit windows, which has
> been available for some time now, in the package mingw64-x86_64-gcc-core.

I just played around with the cross compiler a little.  It appears that
you can simply use "i686-pc-mingw32-gcc" as a replacement for "gcc
-mno-cygwin".  At least it worked for me on a simple C program.