* Issue with make-temp-file on Windows
@ 2011-02-18  5:56 Fabian Ezequiel Gallina
From: Fabian Ezequiel Gallina @ 2011-02-18  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

I think I just found some issue with make-temp-file.

While this function does the right thing, it seems on Windows it
returns the path with forward slashes instead of backward ones.

From what I can see from this bug report[0], this is happening right
now on Windows:

(make-temp-file "test")
=> C:/Windows/Temp/test3044XRQ

While this should be:

(make-temp-file "test")
=> C:\Windows\Temp\test3044XRQ

Is this intended or is it a bug?

If it is intended, is it a portable way I could translate the slashes correctly?

Thanks in advance,
--
Fabián E. Gallina
http://www.from-the-cloud.com

* Re: Issue with make-temp-file on Windows
@ 2011-02-18  5:57 ` Fabian Ezequiel Gallina
From: Fabian Ezequiel Gallina @ 2011-02-18  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

2011/2/18 Fabian Ezequiel Gallina <galli.87@gmail.com>:
> From what I can see from this bug report[0], this is happening right
> now on Windows:

I mean this one: https://github.com/fgallina/python.el/issues#issue/4

Regards,
--

@ 2011-02-18  7:09 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2011-02-18  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 18/02/2011 13:56, Fabian Ezequiel Gallina wrote:
> I think I just found some issue with make-temp-file.
>
> While this function does the right thing, it seems on Windows it
> returns the path with forward slashes instead of backward ones.
>
>  From what I can see from this bug report[0], this is happening right
> now on Windows:
>
> (make-temp-file "test")
> =>  C:/Windows/Temp/test3044XRQ
>
> While this should be:
>
> (make-temp-file "test")
> =>  C:\Windows\Temp\test3044XRQ
>

> Is this intended or is it a bug?

It is intended, as it is normal for filenames to be represented that way
internally in Emacs.

> If it is intended, is it a portable way I could translate the slashes correctly?

convert-standard-filename will work as long as the user is not using a
Cygwin shell. You could start by assuming that if they use a Cygwin
shell they will also use a Cygwin port of python, and if users complain
fine tune the solution further.