* emacs (un)stability under osx 10.3
@ 2004-02-09 14:58 Sébastien Kirche
From: Sébastien Kirche @ 2004-02-09 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Emacs gurus,

I have switched from OSX Jaguar 10.2.8 to Panther 10.3.2 on january and
found that emacs is far less stable than formerly.

Until the savannah hack, i used to check out cvs regularly and i did
not remarked significant crash situations.
Now i can only check out from home, so i only used under 10.3.3 a build
of 28/12/2003 and another one fresh one today (with image support and 3
button mouse patches).
Both of them seems to crash quite often. So i don't think it is
relative to some code changes but rather to the platform.

My main use of Emacs at work with mac if for Gnus (5.10.6) and for
little text file edition.
Emacs seems to crash quite often with Gnus (not always for same
reason), but I guess it might not be relative to only Gnus.

I am not finding me strong enough to debug emacs by myself, but i would
be glad if i can help some stronger mac developper for example by
giving my crash logs (from "console" app).

Let me know if someone is interested by my emacs crash log that i did
not attached, as it is now 2000 lines long since panther upgrade...

Regards,
Sébastien Kirche

* Re: emacs (un)stability under osx 10.3
@ 2004-02-09 21:00 ` Piet van Oostrum
From: Piet van Oostrum @ 2004-02-09 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

SK> Now i can only check out from home, so i only used under 10.3.3 a build
SK> of 28/12/2003 and another one fresh one today (with image support and 3
SK> button mouse patches).

By the way, how did you enable image support? The configure script only
includes image support when X11 is selected. Is it possible to have image
support with Carbon?
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl>
Private email: P.van.Oostrum@hccnet.nl

* Re: emacs (un)stability under osx 10.3
@ 2004-02-10  0:13 ` Hans-Peter Binder
From: Hans-Peter Binder @ 2004-02-10  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

* Sébastien Kirche <sebastien.kirche@sage.com> writes:
> My main use of Emacs at work with mac if for Gnus (5.10.6) and for
> little text file edition.  Emacs seems to crash quite often with Gnus
> (not always for same reason), but I guess it might not be relative to
> only Gnus.

Did you have applied the second Patch as described in:

<URL:http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-01/msg00257.html>

Regards/Gruesse
Hans-Peter Binder
--
(coffee-mode -1)

* Re: emacs (un)stability under osx 10.3
@ 2004-02-10  9:34 Sébastien Kirche
From: Sébastien Kirche @ 2004-02-10  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 9 févr. 2004, à 22:00, Piet van Oostrum a écrit :

> By the way, how did you enable image support? The configure script only
> includes image support when X11 is selected. Is it possible to have
> image
> support with Carbon?

Yes, images can be displayed by emacs-carbon :^)

For image support, I applied both patches from  Mitsuharu Yamamoto :
- emacs-carbon-image-20040113.diff.bz2
(http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-01/msg00230.html)
- additional patch
(http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-01/msg00257.html)

These patches work great : i.e i can now see the graphical gnus logo,
smillies (only the monochrome version, but iirc xpm format is not
supported) and xfaces.
Btw, i have not used any other emacs feature that would display a
picture - the startup screen does not display any pic.

For the 3 mouse button emulation i applied the recent patch
(http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-02/msg00156.html)
that works flawlessly and adds great handling improvement to my mac
Emacs (Thanks!)  :^)

To build my version, i use to launch "mac/make-package
--self-contained" that must define a --enable-carbon-app and a
--without-x and  builds a mac installer with a "compact" application.

@ 2004-03-10 18:36 ` chad brown
From: chad brown @ 2004-03-10 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

What's the status of these patches?  Last I heard, the papers for the
patches had recently arrived, but that was at least a few weeks ago..

Thanks,
*chad

@ 2004-03-12  5:30   ` Steven Tamm
From: Steven Tamm @ 2004-03-12  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

These patches have been checked in.  I sent an email out to
emacs-devel, but it got eaten by the mail.gnu.org monster on leap day.

-Steven