* make distclean removes all .elc files
@ 2008-06-22  8:00 Sven Joachim
From: Sven Joachim @ 2008-06-22  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Running `make distclean' now deletes all .elc files.  Unless the idea is
to strip them from the release tarballs and force everybody to
bootstrap Emacs, this looks very wrong.

Sven

* Re: make distclean removes all .elc files
@ 2008-06-22 18:13 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-06-22 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Joachim; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de>
> Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:00:38 +0200
>
> Running `make distclean' now deletes all .elc files.  Unless the idea is
> to strip them from the release tarballs and force everybody to
> bootstrap Emacs, this looks very wrong.

Yes, it's wrong.

* Re: make distclean removes all .elc files
@ 2008-06-23  3:12 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-06-23  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Joachim; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Running `make distclean' now deletes all .elc files.  Unless the idea is
> to strip them from the release tarballs and force everybody to
> bootstrap Emacs, this looks very wrong.

Should be fixed now, thanks,

* Re: make distclean removes all .elc files
@ 2008-06-24 13:49   ` Johannes Weiner
From: Johannes Weiner @ 2008-06-24 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Sven Joachim, emacs-devel

>> Running `make distclean' now deletes all .elc files.  Unless the idea is
>> to strip them from the release tarballs and force everybody to
>> bootstrap Emacs, this looks very wrong.
>
> Should be fixed now, thanks,

I am pretty new to the Emacs development process, so please excuse when
I step on anyones toes here.

But would it be possible in such cases to just C-x i the actual patch so
people can have a direct look at it and a reference on the mailing list
where the actual issue is also discussed?

I like the patch-based communication from other mailing lists and
perhaps this one could benefit from it too.

	Hannes

* Re: make distclean removes all .elc files
@ 2008-06-24 14:05     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2008-06-24 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Weiner; +Cc: emacs-devel, Stefan Monnier, Sven Joachim

Johannes Weiner wrote:

> I like the patch-based communication from other mailing lists and
> perhaps this one could benefit from it too.

Subscribe to emacs-diffs@gnu.org to get all the diffs, not everyone
wants to receive them.

* Re: make distclean removes all .elc files
@ 2008-06-27  0:33       ` Johannes Weiner
From: Johannes Weiner @ 2008-06-27  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Rumney; +Cc: emacs-devel, Stefan Monnier, Sven Joachim

Hi,

Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org> writes:

> Johannes Weiner wrote:
>
>> I like the patch-based communication from other mailing lists and
>> perhaps this one could benefit from it too.
>
> Subscribe to emacs-diffs@gnu.org to get all the diffs, not everyone
> wants to receive them.

Thanks, but I have a powerful SCM for that.  I'd still have to do the
mapping myself.

	Hannes