* Executing Key Sequences directly
@ 2002-09-19 17:00 Steven Tamm
From: Steven Tamm @ 2002-09-19 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

While working on the Mac OS X carbon port I was trying to switch from
using a "polling" style of event handling to a "callback" style of
event handling.  The intent is that the UI will run in a different
thread from the eval loop, in a way similar to the w32 port.   However
the port also needs to work so that it can work if the UI and the eval
loop are in the same thread.  The complication comes from the scroll
bars; the way that Mac OS X handles scroll bars is through a callback
while in an "event loop" for the scroll bar.  So while doing live
scrolling, the command loop never gets re-entered because it's stuck in
another loop.  What is the best way to have this callback evaluate the
lisp code for a specific keymap (in this case <vertical-scroll-bar>
<mouse-down>)?   Should I use read_key_sequence?

Previously, the port didn't use this mechanism at all, but instead
trapped all mouse down events and passed them to the system.  I'm
trying to avoid this, but if there is no "good" way to evaluate a
key-sequence inside C-code, this is what it will continue to do.

Thanks,
-Steven

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-09-19 17:00 UTC | newest]