* Accented characters, Emacs and Cygwin
@ 2008-03-17 11:47 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2008-03-17 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I can insert accented characters in Emacs buffers (current Emacs CVS
23.0.60, Cygwin build), but when I copy/paste them writing mails with
Thunderbird or in Cygwin console (dos-like as Cygwin.bat), some garbage
appears.

For example the 'è' character appears:

in Thunderbird and Cygwin console     as    ')^'
in Cygwin rxvt                        as    '@(Q)^@B'

Instead it is fine on Cygwin xterm or urxvt.

Is this behaviour to be expected?

Can I adopt some 'counter-measure'?

Thanks,
    Angelo.

* Re: Accented characters, Emacs and Cygwin
@ 2008-03-17 19:59 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-03-17 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 12:47:54 +0100
> From: Angelo Graziosi <angelo.graziosi@alice.it>
>
> I can insert accented characters in Emacs buffers (current Emacs CVS
> 23.0.60, Cygwin build), but when I copy/paste them writing mails with
> Thunderbird or in Cygwin console (dos-like as Cygwin.bat), some garbage
> appears.
>
> For example the 'è' character appears:
>
> in Thunderbird and Cygwin console     as    ')^'
> in Cygwin rxvt                        as    '@(Q)^@B'
>
> Instead it is fine on Cygwin xterm or urxvt.
>
> Is this behaviour to be expected?

I suggest to ask on the Cygwin list whether the Cygwin xterm and rxvt
support non-ASCII characters in X selections.  (AFAIK, Cygwin does not
yet support any locale but the C locale.)  If the Cygwin maintainers
say it should work, come back here and someone might find time to
investigate this.

* Re: Accented characters, Emacs and Cygwin
@ 2008-03-28  9:01 ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2008-03-28  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: handa

The problem I described in [1], seems to be solved in recent CVS update.

I think this change

2008-03-27  Kenichi Handa  <handa@ni.aist.go.jp>

         * charset.c (Fdefine_charset_internal): Change the way of
         registering charsets in Vcharset_order_list.
         (syms_of_charset): Make the charset `eight-bit' supplementary.

makes the difference.

Perhaps, what I described is also related to the discussion [2].

Many thanks to the people that contributed to the solution.

Cheers,
    Angelo.

---
[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-03/msg01861.html