* Emacs 22.2 released
@ 2008-03-26 18:02 Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-03-26 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

GNU Emacs 22.2 is now available at the ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/.  Some
of the FTP mirrors are still updating.  The actual release
announcement should be on info-gnu-emacs shortly.  (BTW, Eli, what's
the moderation/posting situation on that list?).

The CVS tag for the release is EMACS_22_2.

I've bumped the version number in the branch to 22.2.50.  It's not
clear to me whether we will make a 22.3 release, but until a decision
is made, I'll start rolling the postphoned fixes listed in
admin/FOR-RELEASE into the branch, over the next week or so.  If
someone wants to help, that'd be great.

* Re: Emacs 22.2 released
@ 2008-03-26 19:11 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-03-26 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
> Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:02:56 -0400
>
> GNU Emacs 22.2 is now available at the ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/.

Ouch!  This is a very busy week for me, so I only now had time to
install on the branch the change that fixes handling of foreign file
names on MS-Windows.  Perhaps in the future it would be a good idea to
send a warning on the mailing list 24 hours before the tarball is made
(I know you announced the plan before, but that was several days ago
and I simply forgot).

I don't know if it's fair to ask that a new tarball be uploaded now.
Failing that, I hope at least those who prepare binary distributions
for Windows will use the version of w32.c that is now on the branch.

> The actual release
> announcement should be on info-gnu-emacs shortly.  (BTW, Eli, what's
> the moderation/posting situation on that list?).

The situation is good, thank you ;-)

Seriously, what exactly did you want to know?  I'm the moderator, if
that's what you were asking (but you probably already know that, since
mailman shows this fact).

* Re: Emacs 22.2 released
@ 2008-03-26 19:41   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-03-26 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
>> Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:02:56 -0400
>>
>> GNU Emacs 22.2 is now available at the ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/.
>
> Ouch!  This is a very busy week for me, so I only now had time to
> install on the branch the change that fixes handling of foreign file
> names on MS-Windows.  Perhaps in the future it would be a good idea to
> send a warning on the mailing list 24 hours before the tarball is made
> (I know you announced the plan before, but that was several days ago
> and I simply forgot).

I did:

  To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
  From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
  Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 09:26:09 -0400
  Subject: Re: Release schedule for 22.2

  > If nothing goes wrong, I plan to roll the 22.2 tarball next Wednesday,
  > the 26th of March.  If you have any fixes that you would like to add
  > to the branch, please inform emacs-devel ASAP.

  Heads up: I'll be rolling the tarball in about 24 hours.

Still, I had forgotten about the "Foreign file names on MS-Windows"
thread, and I didn't check if the final patch got checked in after the
discussion seemed to have concluded.  So sorry about that.

> I don't know if it's fair to ask that a new tarball be uploaded now.
> Failing that, I hope at least those who prepare binary distributions
> for Windows will use the version of w32.c that is now on the branch.

Since this bug is not a regression from 22.1, let's leave it for 22.3
(assuming we do a 22.3).

As for changing the Windows binary distribution, I don't have a strong
opinion either way.  Jason, if you are agreeable, please go ahead and
make a new binary incorporating this change.  No need to mark it as
22.3a or anything like that, IMO; just overwrite the existing file on
the ftp server.  Thanks.

>> The actual release announcement should be on info-gnu-emacs
>> shortly.  (BTW, Eli, what's the moderation/posting situation on
>> that list?).
>
> The situation is good, thank you ;-)
>
> Seriously, what exactly did you want to know?  I'm the moderator, if
> that's what you were asking (but you probably already know that, since
> mailman shows this fact).

I was just wondering if I would be able to post to the list.  But I
now see that the release announcement went through fine.  Thanks.

* Re: Emacs 22.2 released
@ 2008-03-26 20:41     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-03-26 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel, jasonr

On Wed, Mar 26 2008, Chong Yidong wrote:

> As for changing the Windows binary distribution, I don't have a strong
> opinion either way.  Jason, if you are agreeable, please go ahead and
> make a new binary incorporating this change.  No need to mark it as
> 22.3a or anything like that, IMO; just overwrite the existing file on
> the ftp server.  Thanks.

Please use a different name:

,----[ http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bugs/15799/focus=74219 ]
| From: Richard Stallman
| Subject: Re: bad tool-bar icons in Emacs 22.1 release
| Date: 2007-07-03 04:24:13 GMT
|
|     Offering different files under the same name (at different dates)
|     leads to confusion.
|
|     If we'd release "emacs-22.1-bin-i386.zip" _with_ the image DLLs you
|     always have to ask the user when he has downloaded the ZIP file and/or
|     if it includes emacs-22.1/bin/FOO.dll etc.
|
| Now I see what you mean, and I agree.
| (I think this is a GNU standard policy too.)
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Emacs 22.2 released
@ 2008-03-26 21:01   ` Ulrich Mueller
From: Ulrich Mueller @ 2008-03-26 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

> I don't know if it's fair to ask that a new tarball be uploaded now.

Please don't. Or, if you do, please increase the version number.

Gentoo distributes app-editors/emacs-22.2 already, and its tarball is
on our mirrors.

Ulrich

* Re: Emacs 22.2 released
@ 2008-03-26 21:34       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-03-26 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel, jasonr

>> As for changing the Windows binary distribution, I don't have a strong
>> opinion either way.  Jason, if you are agreeable, please go ahead and
>> make a new binary incorporating this change.  No need to mark it as
>> 22.3a or anything like that, IMO; just overwrite the existing file on
>> the ftp server.  Thanks.

> Please use a different name:

Agreed,

* Re: Emacs 22.2 released
@ 2008-03-26 21:59 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2008-03-26 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 02:02:56PM -0400, Chong Yidong wrote:
> GNU Emacs 22.2 is now available at the ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/.

Thanks!

--
Alan.

* Re: Emacs 22.2 released
@ 2008-03-26 22:09     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-03-26 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
> Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:41:03 -0400
>
> I was just wondering if I would be able to post to the list.  But I
> now see that the release announcement went through fine.

It went through when I saw it pending.  I also cleared you to post
without moderation from now on.

* Re: Emacs 22.2 released
@ 2008-03-26 23:52     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2008-03-26 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Chong Yidong wrote:

> As for changing the Windows binary distribution, I don't have a strong
> opinion either way.  Jason, if you are agreeable, please go ahead and
> make a new binary incorporating this change.  No need to mark it as
> 22.3a or anything like that, IMO; just overwrite the existing file on
> the ftp server.  Thanks.

I disagree with not marking it if a new release is made. The source will
be different, so it should have a different version number. This bug has
been there forever, and noone complained until now. Users are not likely
to use file names outside of their own locale, even though it is
theoretically possible. Many tools have this same problem, especially
command-line tools which tend to use the standard C library rather than
the Windows APIs, let alone the Unicode version of the Windows APIs.

But anyway, someone else will have to make the release, as my graphics
card died this morning, and I'm currently surviving with a very old
machine that took over half an hour just to zip up the files (I didn't
time the build).