* [lanubeblanca@googlemail.com: Typos in the Widget library documentation]
@ 2006-10-11 18:51 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-10-11 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Would someone please fix these, then ack?

Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:19:15 -0300
To: bug-gnu-emacs <bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Roberto =?ISO-8859-1?B?Um9kcu1ndWV6?= <lanubeblanca@googlemail.com>
Subject: Typos in the Widget library documentation

In the 'User Interface' node:

* A form consist [ -> CONSISTS ] of read only text for documentation...

* The top level widget in is [ -> THIS ] example are tagged...

* Embedded buttons are not associated with a fields [ -> ANY FIELD ], but can serve
any purpose...

* Activating one of these will convert it to the other..... You can create it [ -> THEM ] with the
checkbox widget.

* The 'Apply Form' [AND] 'Reset Form' buttons

Basic Types:

* The following keyword arguments that [s/that//] apply to all widgets:
<describes the arguments...>

editable-field:

* The value should be a string, which will be inserted in [THE] field.

composite:

* The value of a list widget is a list containing the value of
each of its component [-> COMPONENTS].

* To get variable length lists and vectors, you can use a choice,
set, or repeat widgets [-> WIDGET] together with the :inline keywords
[-> KEYWORD].

* For example, to specify a list whose first element must
be a file name, and whose remaining arguments should either by [-> BE]
the symbol t or two files, you can...

* Allows you to specify a type which must be a list whose elements all
belong to [THE] given set.

* Re: [lanubeblanca@googlemail.com: Typos in the Widget library  documentation]
@ 2006-10-11 19:21 ` Stuart D. Herring
       [not found]   ` <E1GY25C-0007ne-FZ@fencepost.gnu.org>
From: Stuart D. Herring @ 2006-10-11 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Would someone please fix these, then ack?

Done -- almost all as suggested, and a couple of others that I saw while
editing.  All the multiline changes in the attached patch are due to
refilling.  I notice, however, that some of the text is inconsistent and
confusing, particularly in the Composite Sexp Widgets node; the
descriptions of the composite widgets are not parallel in style and
elements of the value of a set widget are said to be irrelevant when
surely it is their order that is irrelevant.  I don't know enough about
the widgets library to reliably fix those (I may even be incorrect about
their incorrectness), so I'm just drawing attention to them.

Davis

shipping.

[-- Attachment #2: widget.patch --]

*** widget.texi.~1.36.~	2006-03-25 16:13:20.000000000 -0700
--- widget.texi	2006-10-11 13:18:23.000000000 -0600
***************
*** 158,164 ****
  @comment  node-name,  next,  previous,  up
  @section User Interface

! A form consist of read only text for documentation and some fields,
  where each field contains two parts, a tag and a value.  The tags are
  used to identify the fields, so the documentation can refer to the
  @samp{foo field}, meaning the field tagged with @samp{Foo}. Here is an
--- 158,164 ----
  @comment  node-name,  next,  previous,  up
  @section User Interface

! A form consists of read only text for documentation and some fields,
*** 195,201 ****
  @b{[Apply Form]} @b{[Reset Form]}
  @end example

! The top level widgets in is example are tagged @samp{Name},
  @samp{Choose}, @samp{Address}, @samp{_other work_}, @samp{Numbers},
  @samp{Select multiple}, @samp{Select one}, @samp{[Apply Form]}, and
  @samp{[Reset Form]}.  There are basically two things the user can do
--- 195,201 ----
  @b{[Apply Form]} @b{[Reset Form]}
  @end example

! The top level widgets in this example are tagged @samp{Name},
  @samp{Choose}, @samp{Address}, @samp{_other work_}, @samp{Numbers},
  @samp{Select multiple}, @samp{Select one}, @samp{[Apply Form]}, and
  @samp{[Reset Form]}.  There are basically two things the user can do
***************
*** 276,295 ****
  The list is created by the @code{editable-list} widget.
  @cindex embedded buttons
  @item Embedded Buttons
! The @samp{@b{_other work_}} is an example of an embedded
! button.  Embedded buttons are not associated with a fields, but can serve
! any purpose, such as implementing hypertext references.  They are
! usually created by the @code{link} widget.
  @item The @samp{@b{[ ]}} and @samp{@b{[X]}} buttons
  Activating one of these will convert it to the other.  This is useful
! for implementing multiple-choice fields.  You can create it with the
  @code{checkbox} widget.
  @item The @samp{@b{( )}} and @samp{@b{(*)}} buttons
  Only one radio button in a @code{radio-button-choice} widget can be
  selected at any time.  When you invoke one of the unselected radio
  buttons, it will be selected and the previous selected radio button will
  become unselected.
! @item The @samp{@b{[Apply Form]}} @samp{@b{[Reset Form]}} buttons
  These are explicit buttons made with the @code{push-button} widget.  The
  main difference from the @code{link} widget is that the buttons will be
  displayed as GUI buttons when possible.
--- 276,295 ----
  The list is created by the @code{editable-list} widget.
  @cindex embedded buttons
  @item Embedded Buttons
! The @samp{@b{_other work_}} is an example of an embedded button.
! Embedded buttons are not associated with any field, but can serve any
! purpose, such as implementing hypertext references.  They are usually
! created by the @code{link} widget.
  @item The @samp{@b{[ ]}} and @samp{@b{[X]}} buttons
  Activating one of these will convert it to the other.  This is useful
! for implementing multiple-choice fields.  You can create them with the
! @item The @samp{@b{[Apply Form]}} and @samp{@b{[Reset Form]}} buttons
  These are explicit buttons made with the @code{push-button} widget.  The
  main difference from the @code{link} widget is that the buttons will be
  displayed as GUI buttons when possible.
***************
*** 492,498 ****
  are interpreted in a widget specific way.

  @cindex keyword arguments
! The following keyword arguments that apply to all widgets:

  @table @code
  @vindex value@r{ keyword}
--- 492,498 ----
  are interpreted in a widget specific way.

  @cindex keyword arguments
! The following keyword arguments apply to all widgets:

  @table @code
  @vindex value@r{ keyword}
***************
*** 807,813 ****
  @end example

  The @var{value}, if present, is used to initialize the @code{:value}
! property.  The value should be a string, which will be inserted in
  field.  This widget will match all string values.

  The following extra properties are recognized:
--- 807,813 ----
  @end example

  The @var{value}, if present, is used to initialize the @code{:value}
! property.  The value should be a string, which will be inserted in the
  field.  This widget will match all string values.

  The following extra properties are recognized:
***************
*** 1349,1355 ****

  @deffn Widget list
  The value of a @code{list} widget is a list containing the value of
! each of its component.
  @end deffn

  @deffn Widget vector
--- 1349,1355 ----

  @deffn Widget list
  The value of a @code{list} widget is a list containing the value of
! each of its components.
  @end deffn

  @deffn Widget vector
***************
*** 1359,1371 ****

  The above suffice for specifying fixed size lists and vectors.  To get
  variable length lists and vectors, you can use a @code{choice},
! @code{set}, or @code{repeat} widgets together with the @code{:inline}
! keywords.  If any component of a composite widget has the @code{:inline}
! keyword set, its value must be a list which will then be spliced into
! the composite.  For example, to specify a list whose first element must
! be a file name, and whose remaining arguments should either by the
! symbol @code{t} or two files, you can use the following widget
! specification:

  @example
  (list file
--- 1359,1371 ----

  The above suffice for specifying fixed size lists and vectors.  To get
  variable length lists and vectors, you can use a @code{choice},
! @code{set}, or @code{repeat} widget together with the @code{:inline}
! keyword.  If any component of a composite widget has the
! should either be the symbol @code{t} or two strings, you can use the
! following widget specification:

  @example
  (list file
***************
*** 1390,1398 ****

  @deffn Widget set
  Allows you to specify a type which must be a list whose elements all
! belong to given set.  The elements of the list are not significant.
! This is implemented on top of the @code{checklist} basic widget, and has
! a similar syntax.
  @end deffn

  @deffn Widget repeat
--- 1390,1398 ----

  @deffn Widget set
  Allows you to specify a type which must be a list whose elements all
! belong to a given set.  The elements of the list are not significant.

@ 2006-10-12  6:37 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2006-10-12  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman skrev:
> Would someone please fix these, then ack?

Done.

	Jan D.

@ 2006-10-17 19:48     ` Stuart D. Herring
       [not found]       ` <E1Ga8rp-0006uQ-CL@fencepost.gnu.org>
From: Stuart D. Herring @ 2006-10-17 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

[This is a reply to the correct thread, if not the correct message.]

I suggest changing a few words in/around your recent rewrites in
widget.texi (for clarity, grammar, and consistency, once each).  Please
install the attached patch if it's an improvement.

Davis

shipping.

@ 2006-10-18 16:48         ` Stuart D. Herring
From: Stuart D. Herring @ 2006-10-18 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)