* Re: C-p, C-b, C-f, and C-n... why?
       [not found]           ` <u8xum3ecx.fsf@gmail.com>
@ 2005-12-15 13:15             ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found]             ` <rj3bkumuwj.fsf@sheridan.dina.kvl.dk>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-12-15 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Emacs Devel

Mathias Dahl wrote:

>Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:
>

>>    There are several ways you can do this.  You can of course use the arrow
>>    keys, but it's generally more efficient in the long run to keep your
>>    hands in the standard position and use the commands C-p, C-b, C-f, and
>>    C-n.  These characters are equivalent to the four arrow keys, like this:
>>

>How about
>
>     There are several ways you can do this.  You can use the arrow
>     keys or you can use C-p, C-b, C-f, and C-n.  Generally, many find
>     the latter more efficient in the long run because it keeps your
>     hands in the standard position.  These characters are equivalent
>     to the four arrow keys like this:
>
>Thus avoiding expressions like "but it is generally more..." which
>forces an opinion in the user. IMHO, of course. :)

I vote for this one! It addresses the newbie which is the purpose.

* Re: C-p, C-b, C-f, and C-n... why?
@ 2005-12-15 17:40               ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2005-12-15 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, emacs-devel, brakjoller

   From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se>
   Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, Emacs Devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>

   Mathias Dahl wrote:

   >How about
   >
   >     There are several ways you can do this.  You can use the arrow
   >     keys or you can use C-p, C-b, C-f, and C-n.  Generally, many find
   >     the latter more efficient in the long run because it keeps your
   >     hands in the standard position.  These characters are equivalent
   >     to the four arrow keys like this:
   >
   >Thus avoiding expressions like "but it is generally more..." which
   >forces an opinion in the user. IMHO, of course. :)

   I vote for this one! It addresses the newbie which is the purpose.

My vote goes to this one too.

Xavier

* Re: C-p, C-b, C-f, and C-n... why?
@ 2005-12-15 17:52                 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-12-15 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, emacs-devel, brakjoller

Xavier Maillard wrote:

>   From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se>
>   Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, Emacs Devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
>   Mathias Dahl wrote:
>
>   >How about
>   >
>   >     There are several ways you can do this.  You can use the arrow
>   >     keys or you can use C-p, C-b, C-f, and C-n.  Generally, many find
>   >     the latter more efficient in the long run because it keeps your
>   >     hands in the standard position.  These characters are equivalent
>   >     to the four arrow keys like this:
>   >
>   >Thus avoiding expressions like "but it is generally more..." which
>   >forces an opinion in the user. IMHO, of course. :)
>   >
>   >
>   I vote for this one! It addresses the newbie which is the purpose.
>
>My vote goes to this one too.
>
>Xavier

And I think Per A enhanced it a bit ;-)

* Re: C-p, C-b, C-f, and C-n... why?
       [not found]               ` <uacf2rz88.fsf@gmail.com>
@ 2005-12-15 20:43                 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-12-15 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Mathias Dahl wrote:

>Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:
>

>>Mathias Dahl <brakjoller@gmail.com> writes:

>>>How about
>>>
>>>     There are several ways you can do this.  You can use the arrow
>>>     keys or you can use C-p, C-b, C-f, and C-n.  Generally, many find
>>>     the latter more efficient in the long run because it keeps your
>>>     hands in the standard position.  These characters are equivalent
>>>     to the four arrow keys like this:
>>>

>>    There are several ways you can do this.  You can use the arrow
>>    keys or you can use C-p, C-b, C-f, and C-n.  The latter can be
>>    more efficient in some situations, because it keeps your hands in
>>    the standard position.  These characters are equivalent to the
>>    four arrow keys like this:

No, Per did not so I am doing this now. Could we please change to this text?

* Re: C-p, C-b, C-f, and C-n... why?
@ 2005-12-16 17:46               ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-12-16 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, emacs-devel, brakjoller

I think the current tutorial text about this is fine.