From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se>
Subject: Re: Where is patch? - problems with patch.exe on w32
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 21:04:19 +0100	[thread overview]

I had some trouble with patch.exe on w32 from both Cygwin and GnuWin32
that I have asked about in a recent message here. The message below is
from my conversation on cygwin@cygwin.com about this. Corinna is one of
the maintainers.

The trouble I had turned out to be one with line endings. For some
reason patch does not behave as Emacs on w32 when it comes to line
endings. A line and should just be a line end in my opinion. The patched
text file should retain its original line format. If this is possible
then that would really give me and other using w32 a fair chance of
doing useful work. So I hope to get in contact with the patch maintainer
about this.

If it is not possible then I think Emacs on w32 should try to take care
of this. I guess this is possible, but I am not sure. It should simply
mean that Emacs should notice the line endings and then convert the
patch file to the same as those of the file to patch before doing the
patch. (But that is what I would like patch.exe to do instead.) Would
this be possible? I am speaking mostly about CR-LF about LF here. CR
could of course be another possibility, maybe other too. Suggestions?