* ediff-revision and "Using keyboard-interactive authentication^M" in text
@ 2005-11-24 19:41 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-11-24 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I do

    M-x ediff-revision RET

when viewing help.el in my local copy of the repository I get this in
the temporary checked out latest version of help.el:

(defun resize-temp-buffer-window ()
  "Resize the current window to fit its contents.
Will not make it higher than `temp-buffer-max-height' nor smaller than
`window-min-height'.  Do nothing if it is the onlyUsing
keyboard-interactive authentication.^M

 window on its frame, if it
is not as wide as the frame or if some of the window's contents are scrolled
out of view."
<<<<<<<<<<

Where does that "Using keyboard-interactive authentication^M" come from?

I guess there might be something wrong with the cvs tools I am using but
I do not understand. I do not know where it would be most appropriate to
ask this question, but the problem seems to occur only within Emacs so I
start here. (BTW: Can you specify the path the the cvs program somewhere
in Emacs?)

I am doing this on w32, using CVS Emacs from 2005-11-22. The cvs tools I
am using is cvsnt which says:

C:\>cvs --version

Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.02 (Servalan) Build 2115
(client/server)

Copyright (c) 1989-2001 Brian Berliner, david d `zoo' zuhn,
                        Jeff Polk, and other authors
CVSNT version (Oct  9 2005) Copyright (c) 1999-2005 Tony Hoyle and others
see http://www.cvsnt.org

Commercial support and training provided by March Hare Software Ltd.
see http://www.march-hare.com/cvspro

CVSNT may be copied only under the terms of the GNU General Public
License v2,
a copy of which can be found with the CVS distribution.

The CVSNT Application API is licensed under the terms of the
GNU Library (or Lesser) General Public License.

SSH connectivity provided by PuTTY:
  PuTTY is copyright 1997-2001 Simon Tatham.
  Portions copyright Robert de Bath, Joris van Rantwijk, Delian
  Delchev, Andreas Schultz, Jeroen Massar, Wez Furlong, Nicolas Barry,
  Justin Bradford, and CORE SDI S.A.
  See http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

Perl Compatible Regular Expression Library (PCRE)
  Copyright (c) 1997-2004 University of Cambridge.
  Licensed under the BSD license.
  See http://www.pcre.org/license.txt

Specify the --help option for further information about CVS
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I am using an external ssh program: CVS_RSH=c:\path-to-plink\plink.exe

I am doing an anonymous checkout:

* Re: ediff-revision and "Using keyboard-interactive authentication^M" in text
@ 2005-11-24 20:14 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-11-24 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 20:41:44 +0100
> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se>
>
> (defun resize-temp-buffer-window ()
>   "Resize the current window to fit its contents.
> Will not make it higher than `temp-buffer-max-height' nor smaller than
> `window-min-height'.  Do nothing if it is the onlyUsing
> keyboard-interactive authentication.^M
>
>  window on its frame, if it
> is not as wide as the frame or if some of the window's contents are scrolled
> out of view."
> <<<<<<<<<<
>
> Where does that "Using keyboard-interactive authentication^M" come from?

>From PuTTY's plink.exe (which is the PuTTY's version of
non-interactive ssh client), I think.  You use it as the rsh client
for CVS:

> I am using an external ssh program: CVS_RSH=c:\path-to-plink\plink.exe

Configure your PuTTY session to subversions to have an explicit login
name (Connection->Data in the PuTTY Configuration dialog) and, if that
doesn't help, try disabling the "Attempt keyboard-interactive auth"
option in the SSH->Auth tab of the Configuration dialog).

* ediff-revision and "Using keyboard-interactive authentication^M" in text
@ 2005-11-24 20:27 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2005-11-24 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

 > Where does that "Using keyboard-interactive authentication^M" come from?
 >
 > I guess there might be something wrong with the cvs tools I am using but
 > I do not understand. I do not know where it would be most appropriate to
 > ask this question, but the problem seems to occur only within Emacs so I
 > start here. (BTW: Can you specify the path the the cvs program somewhere
 > in Emacs?)
 >

 > I am doing this on w32, using CVS Emacs from 2005-11-22.

Just a guess:  It has something to do with ssh.  In the file ~/.ssh/config,
I have:

Host subversions.gnu.org
     Protocol 2
     ForwardX11 no

The last line prevents messages spilling into Emacs buffers.  Perhaps there's
an equivalent setting for Windows.

Nick

* Re: ediff-revision and "Using keyboard-interactive authentication^M" in text
@ 2005-11-24 20:58   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-11-24 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>>I am using an external ssh program: CVS_RSH=c:\path-to-plink\plink.exe
>>

>Configure your PuTTY session to subversions to have an explicit login
>name (Connection->Data in the PuTTY Configuration dialog) and, if that
>doesn't help, try disabling the "Attempt keyboard-interactive auth"
>option in the SSH->Auth tab of the Configuration dialog).

Thansk Eli, but there are several things I do not understand here. I did
a connection once to save the host key. Does puTTY save configuration
parameters (like those you suggest) every time I connect using puTTY?

The first suggestion unfortunately did not work. In PuTTY the string is
still output. And if disable "Attempt keyb..." then at least PuTTY can
not login.

The output of the string "Using keyboard ..." seems seriously out of
phase with the fetched module. Could the string has been sent to STDERR?

If I from the command line do

    c:\myrep\emacs\lisp> cvs diff isearch.el

then I do not see the string. If I do this in an interactive shell in
Emacs I do not see it there either.

Perhaps does plink gets confused in the case when ediff-revision is used?

* Re: ediff-revision and "Using keyboard-interactive authentication^M" in text
@ 2005-11-24 21:49 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-11-24 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I did ask this question a month ago - and I answered it myself. That
time I thought that the problem did go away after updating cvsnt.
Obviously it is still there. So this answer is incorrect:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-10/msg00823.html

Sorry for starting a new thread.

Lennart Borgman wrote:

> When I do
>
>    M-x ediff-revision RET
>
> when viewing help.el in my local copy of the repository I get this in
> the temporary checked out latest version of help.el:
>

> (defun resize-temp-buffer-window ()
>  "Resize the current window to fit its contents.
> Will not make it higher than `temp-buffer-max-height' nor smaller than
> `window-min-height'.  Do nothing if it is the onlyUsing
> keyboard-interactive authentication.^M
>
> window on its frame, if it
> is not as wide as the frame or if some of the window's contents are
> scrolled
> out of view."
> <<<<<<<<<<
>
> Where does that "Using keyboard-interactive authentication^M" come from?
>
> I guess there might be something wrong with the cvs tools I am using
> but I do not understand. I do not know where it would be most
> appropriate to ask this question, but the problem seems to occur only
> within Emacs so I start here. (BTW: Can you specify the path the the
> cvs program somewhere in Emacs?)
>

> I am doing this on w32, using CVS Emacs from 2005-11-22. The cvs tools
> I am using is cvsnt which says:
>

> C:\>cvs --version
>
> Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.02 (Servalan) Build 2115
> (client/server)
>
> Copyright (c) 1989-2001 Brian Berliner, david d `zoo' zuhn,
>                        Jeff Polk, and other authors
> CVSNT version (Oct  9 2005) Copyright (c) 1999-2005 Tony Hoyle and others
> see http://www.cvsnt.org
>
> Commercial support and training provided by March Hare Software Ltd.
> see http://www.march-hare.com/cvspro
>
> CVSNT may be copied only under the terms of the GNU General Public
> License v2,
> a copy of which can be found with the CVS distribution.
>
> The CVSNT Application API is licensed under the terms of the
> GNU Library (or Lesser) General Public License.
>
> SSH connectivity provided by PuTTY:
>  PuTTY is copyright 1997-2001 Simon Tatham.
>  Portions copyright Robert de Bath, Joris van Rantwijk, Delian
>  Delchev, Andreas Schultz, Jeroen Massar, Wez Furlong, Nicolas Barry,
>  Justin Bradford, and CORE SDI S.A.
>  See http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
>
> Perl Compatible Regular Expression Library (PCRE)
>  Copyright (c) 1997-2004 University of Cambridge.
>  Licensed under the BSD license.
>  See http://www.pcre.org/license.txt
>
> Specify the --help option for further information about CVS
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>
> I am using an external ssh program: CVS_RSH=c:\path-to-plink\plink.exe
>
> I am doing an anonymous checkout:

Lennart
från Lund

@ 2005-11-25  8:40     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-11-25  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 21:58:20 +0100
> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se>
> CC: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Thansk Eli, but there are several things I do not understand here. I did
> a connection once to save the host key. Does puTTY save configuration
> parameters (like those you suggest) every time I connect using puTTY?

It doesn't save the configuration unless you tell it.  However, if you
invoke PuTTY interactively (i.e., not the command-line plink.exe, but
putty.exe itself), it pops up a session configuration dialog.  There,
you can configure a session for subversions.gnu.org and save it.  That
configuration will henceforth be used by plink.

> If I from the command line do
>
>     c:\myrep\emacs\lisp> cvs diff isearch.el
>
> then I do not see the string. If I do this in an interactive shell in
> Emacs I do not see it there either.
>
> Perhaps does plink gets confused in the case when ediff-revision is used?

Maybe, I don't know.  You will have to see how ediff-revision invokes
plink, perhaps it does it in a way that plink thinks it's an
interactive invocation.

* Re: ediff-revision and "Using keyboard-interactive authentication^M" in text
@ 2005-11-25 15:24       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-11-25 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>It doesn't save the configuration unless you tell it.  However, if you
>invoke PuTTY interactively (i.e., not the command-line plink.exe, but
>putty.exe itself), it pops up a session configuration dialog.  There,
>you can configure a session for subversions.gnu.org and save it.  That
>configuration will henceforth be used by plink.

Are those settings then used when plink is called from cvs.exe if I
specify for example

    cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs

BTW is subversions.gnu.org the same as savannah.gnu.org?

>>Perhaps does plink gets confused in the case when ediff-revision is used?
>>

>Maybe, I don't know.  You will have to see how ediff-revision invokes
>plink, perhaps it does it in a way that plink thinks it's an
>interactive invocation.

ediff-revison calls "cvs" with some arguments. Maybe it is then
important how cvs is invoked. What should I look for?

* Re: ediff-revision and "Using keyboard-interactive authentication^M" in text
@ 2005-11-25 19:48         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-11-25 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 16:24:03 +0100
> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se>
> CC: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> >It doesn't save the configuration unless you tell it.  However, if you
> >invoke PuTTY interactively (i.e., not the command-line plink.exe, but
> >putty.exe itself), it pops up a session configuration dialog.  There,
> >you can configure a session for subversions.gnu.org and save it.  That
> >configuration will henceforth be used by plink.
> >

> Are those settings then used when plink is called from cvs.exe if I
> specify for example
>
>     cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs

Yes.  plink.exe looks in the PuTTY configuration file for a session
that names the repository machine, and if found, uses its settings.

> BTW is subversions.gnu.org the same as savannah.gnu.org?

They are resolved to the same IP address, so I guess they are the
same.

> ediff-revison calls "cvs" with some arguments. Maybe it is then
> important how cvs is invoked. What should I look for?

I don't know; for starters, just post here what is the exact command
line used bu ediff-revison to invoke cvs.