* Re: [h-e-w] Novice questions about quiting
       [not found] <42D17A32.508@po-box.mcgill.ca>
@ 2005-07-10 21:36 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-07-10 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian van den Broek wrote:

> The main query:
> I am having a problem quiting emacs. If I have open modified buffers,
> and wish to quit without saving I can quit with C-x C-c and answering
> the minibuffer prompts accordingly. However, if I try Menu->File->Exit
> Emacs or clicking the close button on the right of the title bar, I
> run into problems.
>
> I get a pop-up dialog asking me if I want to save (one of) the
> modified buffers. If I click on no, I bounce right back to the buffer
> I was viewing, and I do not exit emacs. It seems to me that instead I
> ought get the dialog for the next unsaved and modified buffer, and
> exit emacs when I've said no to all such dialog prompts.
>
> Am I misunderstanding the intended behaviour? Or, is there something I
> need to add to my .emacs file to enable what I think ought happen? Any
> advice would be appreciated.
>
> I did search this list archive for both "quit" and "quiting", but
> nothing of relevance came up. Attempts to google did not help --
> windows being an emacs term as well as the name of my OS seemed to get
> in the way :-)

This seems to be a bug in CVS Emacs.

* Re: [h-e-w] Novice questions about quiting
@ 2005-07-11 14:04   ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2005-07-11 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Brian van den Broek, Emacs Devel

Lennart Borgman wrote:

> Brian van den Broek wrote:
>
>> The main query:
>> I am having a problem quiting emacs. If I have open modified buffers,
>> and wish to quit without saving I can quit with C-x C-c and answering
>> the minibuffer prompts accordingly. However, if I try
>> Menu->File->Exit Emacs or clicking the close button on the right of
>> the title bar, I run into problems.
>>
>> I get a pop-up dialog asking me if I want to save (one of) the
>> modified buffers. If I click on no, I bounce right back to the buffer
>> I was viewing, and I do not exit emacs. It seems to me that instead I
>> ought get the dialog for the next unsaved and modified buffer, and
>> exit emacs when I've said no to all such dialog prompts.
>>
>> Am I misunderstanding the intended behaviour? Or, is there something
>> I need to add to my .emacs file to enable what I think ought happen?
>> Any advice would be appreciated.
>>
>> I did search this list archive for both "quit" and "quiting", but
>> nothing of relevance came up. Attempts to google did not help --
>> windows being an emacs term as well as the name of my OS seemed to
>> get in the way :-)
>

> This seems to be a bug in CVS Emacs.

This does not happen on Mac OSX or GNU/Linux.

    Jan D.

* Re: [h-e-w] Novice questions about quiting
@ 2005-07-11 16:54   ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-07-11 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bvande, emacs-devel

    > I get a pop-up dialog asking me if I want to save (one of) the
    > modified buffers. If I click on no, I bounce right back to the buffer
    > I was viewing, and I do not exit emacs.

It does not fail for me.  (I am using the Lucid widgets on GNU/Linux.)
Can anyone else reproduce this?

* Re: [h-e-w] Novice questions about quiting
@ 2005-07-12  1:35     ` David Hunter
From: David Hunter @ 2005-07-12  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bvande, Lennart Borgman, emacs-devel

Richard M. Stallman wrote:
>     > I get a pop-up dialog asking me if I want to save (one of) the
>     > modified buffers. If I click on no, I bounce right back to the buffer
>     > I was viewing, and I do not exit emacs.
>
> It does not fail for me.  (I am using the Lucid widgets on GNU/Linux.)
> Can anyone else reproduce this?

This seems to be a problem with Win32's x-popup-menu.  The following Lisp demonstrates the bug.

(let* ((position t)
       (contents '("q1" ("yes" . 1) ("no" . 2)))
       (menu (cons (car contents) (cons contents nil))))
  (setq q1 (x-popup-menu position menu))
  (setq q2 (x-popup-menu position menu))
  (format "q1=%s, q2=%s" q1 q2))

You should see two consecutive yes/no popups, followed by the display of your choices.

On Windows, you see only the first popup and corresponding answer.  The second call to x-popup-menu returns nil.

I suspect that 'menu_free_timer' and 'current_popup_menu' are to blame.

-Dave