* Problem between Emacs trunk and AUCTeX
@ 2012-07-03  9:22 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2012-07-03  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs devel list

It seems that rev. 108838 don't like AUCTeX. To reproduce:

1. Shorcircuit .emacs.d and other initialization files
2. build and install Emacs trunk >= r.108838

3. start Emacs. For example

       /us/local/emacs/bin/emacs &

4. Install AUCTeX with Options | Manage Emacs Packages

5. C-x C-f foo.tex

A buffer *Compile-Log* will open with the text

"Error: Don't know how to compile nil"

In a normal work, this is very annoying..

Thanks,
Angelo.

* Re: Problem between Emacs trunk and AUCTeX
@ 2012-07-03 15:48 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-07-03 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: Emacs devel list

Angelo Graziosi wrote:

> A buffer *Compile-Log* will open with the text
>
> "Error: Don't know how to compile nil"

Please do the obvious thing and check for bug reports before posting to
emacs-devel. http://debbugs.gnu.org/11837

* Re: Problem between Emacs trunk and AUCTeX
@ 2012-10-28 16:07 ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2012-10-28 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs devel list; +Cc: jay.p.belanger

> It seems that rev. 108838 don't like AUCTeX. To reproduce:
> "Error: Don't know how to compile nil"

This has been fixed in CVS, but the version in ELPA still has the bug.
Perhaps the ELPA version should be updated.

* Re: Problem between Emacs trunk and AUCTeX
@ 2012-10-28 18:19   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-10-28 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jay.p.belanger; +Cc: Emacs devel list

>> It seems that rev. 108838 don't like AUCTeX. To reproduce:
>> "Error: Don't know how to compile nil"
> This has been fixed in CVS, but the version in ELPA still has the bug.
> Perhaps the ELPA version should be updated.

Could someone take care of keeping the two in sync?

* Re: Problem between Emacs trunk and AUCTeX
@ 2012-10-28 18:54     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-10-28 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: jay.p.belanger, Emacs devel list

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> Perhaps the ELPA version should be updated.
>
> Could someone take care of keeping the two in sync?

Do you want GNU ELPA to track non-released versions of software?

* Re: Problem between Emacs trunk and AUCTeX
@ 2012-10-28 20:19       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-10-28 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: jay.p.belanger, Emacs devel list

>>> Perhaps the ELPA version should be updated.
>> Could someone take care of keeping the two in sync?
> Do you want GNU ELPA to track non-released versions of software?

No for GNU ELPA, but yes for the `elpa' branch.
IIUC the GNU ELPA package is only refreshed when the `Version:' of the
packages changes, so that should hopefully prevent non-released versions
to make it to GNU ELPA.

* Re: Problem between Emacs trunk and AUCTeX
@ 2012-10-29 10:51         ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2012-10-29 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: auctex-devel, Emacs devel list, jay.p.belanger

[CC'ing autex-devel]

>>> It seems that rev. 108838 don't like AUCTeX. To reproduce:
>>> "Error: Don't know how to compile nil"
>>
>> This has been fixed in CVS, but the version in ELPA still has the bug.
>> Perhaps the ELPA version should be updated.
>
> No for GNU ELPA, but yes for the `elpa' branch.
> IIUC the GNU ELPA package is only refreshed when the `Version:' of the
> packages changes, so that should hopefully prevent non-released versions
> to make it to GNU ELPA.

No, the GNU ELPA package is refreshed each time the GNU ELPA is updated
(i.e. once every few weeks, to pull in new packages).

If the bug is an urgent one, and there is no new auctex release
immediately forthcoming, we should just patch the elpa version.  Could
someone point out the relevant patch?

* Re: Problem between Emacs trunk and AUCTeX
@ 2012-10-29 16:08           ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-10-29 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong
  Cc: jay.p.belanger, auctex-devel, Stefan Monnier, Emacs devel list

Chong Yidong wrote:

> [...]
[...]
> If the bug is an urgent one

It's not in the slightest bit urgent, IIUC. It's a harmless but
irritating message buffer that pops up the first time you load
font-latex.

(I'm not sure why this subject has been resurrected. The initial message
seems to be missing.)

* Re: Problem between Emacs trunk and AUCTeX
@ 2012-10-29 16:15             ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2012-10-29 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris
  Cc: jay.p.belanger, Chong Yidong, Emacs devel list, Stefan Monnier,
	auctex-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> [...]
>> If the bug is an urgent one
>
> It's not in the slightest bit urgent, IIUC. It's a harmless but
> irritating message buffer that pops up the first time you load
> font-latex.
>
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11837
>
> (I'm not sure why this subject has been resurrected. The initial message
> seems to be missing.)

font-latex.el has at its end something like

;;; Byte-compilation of generated functions

(when (byte-code-function-p
       (symbol-function 'font-latex-make-built-in-keywords))
  (dolist (elt font-latex-built-in-keyword-classes)
    (let ((name (nth 0 elt)))
      (byte-compile (intern (concat "font-latex-match-" name)))
      (byte-compile (intern (concat "font-latex-match-" name "-make"))))))

It would appear that hooking into that should make it reasonably easy to
figure out just what functions this complaint may be about.

--
David Kastrup

* Re: Problem between Emacs trunk and AUCTeX
@ 2012-10-29 16:32             ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-10-29 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong
  Cc: jay.p.belanger, Emacs devel list, Stefan Monnier, auctex-devel

Or maybe it's a real error rather than just a message with the word
"error" in it, I don't remember. Anyway, it's this

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex-diffs/2012-07/msg00000.html

* Re: Problem between Emacs trunk and AUCTeX
@ 2012-10-29 23:41               ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-10-29 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris
  Cc: jay.p.belanger, auctex-devel, Chong Yidong, Stefan Monnier,
	Emacs devel list

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> Or maybe it's a real error rather than just a message with the word
> "error" in it, I don't remember. Anyway, it's this
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex-diffs/2012-07/msg00000.html

It's harmless.  It has been wrong for a long time and still AUCTeX
worked.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Problem between Emacs trunk and AUCTeX
@ 2012-10-30  2:46                 ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2012-10-30  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs devel list, auctex-devel; +Cc: jay.p.belanger

>> Or maybe it's a real error rather than just a message with the word
>> "error" in it, I don't remember. Anyway, it's this
>>
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex-diffs/2012-07/msg00000.html
>
> It's harmless.

Apparently.  I thought I recalled this bug stopping me from compiling
some documents (and have been using CVS AUCTeX because of that), but I
reinstalled the elpa version and haven't managed to reproduce the
problem.  So perhaps I misremembered.
Still, it is an easily fixable bug.  Emacs+AUCTeX is often presented as
a premier LaTeX writing environment, and if elpa is a standard way of
installing AUCTeX then if nothing else it presents a good face to fix
this in elpa.

Jay

* Re: Problem between Emacs trunk and AUCTeX
@ 2012-10-30  7:12                   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-10-30  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jay.p.belanger; +Cc: auctex-devel, Emacs devel list

Jay Belanger wrote:

> Still, it is an easily fixable bug.  Emacs+AUCTeX is often presented as
> a premier LaTeX writing environment, and if elpa is a standard way of
> installing AUCTeX then if nothing else it presents a good face to fix
> this in elpa.

A new release of AUCTeX would fix this and other issues, such as the
much more important

http://debbugs.gnu.org/10584, aka
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-auctex/2010-10/msg00020.html