* stat fail
@ 2003-12-01 22:33 Lars Hansen
From: Lars Hansen @ 2003-12-01 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I mount a SMB file system on directory foo, unplug the network and
then call the C function stat (or lstat) on foo, the function returns -1
and sets errno to 5 (Input/output error). This is on a GNU/Linux system.

The results for Emacs are (among other?):
1. file-attributes may return nil although the file exists.
2. directory-files-and-attributes may return names with no attributes.
3. file-exists-p may return nil although the file exists.

I don't know if the behavior of stat is a bug or not, but even if it is,
maybe Emacs ought to be able to handle stat failing on an existing file.
Cases 1 and 2 may be fixed by a doc change, and problem 3 may be fixed
by using the C function access rather than stat.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-12-01 22:33 UTC | newest]