* Re: dired too SLOW
       [not found]   ` <w2llmd4mfxg.fsf@hpbs1443.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-shoot-me>
@ 2002-03-08 21:07     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-03-08 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    I had this problem and commented-out the invocation of "df",
    from:

	insert-directory.el

    My dired's are now back to normal speed.

It is very strange that df should be so slow.
Normally it is very fast.  What is causing it to be slow?

* Re: dired too SLOW
@ 2002-03-08 22:04       ` Jim Buffenbarger
From: Jim Buffenbarger @ 2002-03-08 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, buff

Hi Richard,

Jim> I had this problem and commented-out the invocation
Jim> of "df", from:

Jim>     insert-directory.el

Jim> My dired's are now back to normal speed.

Richard> It is very strange that df should be so slow.
Richard> Normally it is very fast.  What is causing it to be
Richard> slow?

A bunch of ClearCase mounted filesystems (VOBs):

    hpbs1443$ time sh -c "(df | wc -l)"
    119

    real    0m21.383s
    user    0m0.010s
    sys     0m0.210s

I noticed that Helen, the original poster, was from HP in
Roseville, CA. I guessed that she used ClearCase, too.

-- Jim

PS: Thanks for emacs.

* Re: dired too SLOW
@ 2002-03-08 22:17       ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2002-03-08 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: buff, emacs-devel

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 14:07:17 -0700 (MST)
>
>     I had this problem and commented-out the invocation of "df",
>     from: insert-directory.el
>
> It is very strange that df should be so slow.
> Normally it is very fast.  What is causing it to be slow?

There are many reasons df could be slow.  I have often run into
automounters or NFS servers that take a long time to respond to a
resolvepath or a statvfs system call (which df uses), even when they
respond quickly to a stat system call (which ls uses).  This can be
caused by stale NFS file handles, for example.

I've heard that some HP-UX releases require that every mountable
filesystem must actually be mounted, or df will hang.  This might be
what buff is running into, since he's at HP.

In some cases (the Solaris 2.6 automounter comes to mind), the problem
can be worked around by doing the stat (or ls) before the statvfs (or df).
It might be wise to modify Emacs to do that.

Also, perhaps Emacs could put a short timeout on its invocation to
'df', and report that the usage is unknown if 'df' fails to respond in
time.

On older BSD hosts like SunOS 4.1.3, df must do a sync before doing a
statvfs to get reasonably accurate results.  This can be a real
performance hit.  (I think SVR4 /usr/ucb/df does the sync for no good
reason -- the sync is there only because it was needed on older
BSD-style systems.)  Perhaps the Emacs PROBLEMS section can suggest
that users use GNU fileutils df on older SVR4 and SunOS 4.x hosts, to
avoid that problem on those hosts.

* Re: dired too SLOW
@ 2002-03-08 22:21       ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2002-03-08 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: buff, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:
>     I had this problem and commented-out the invocation of "df",
>     from:
>
> 	insert-directory.el
>
>     My dired's are now back to normal speed.
>
> It is very strange that df should be so slow.
> Normally it is very fast.  What is causing it to be slow?

I have seen df:s being very slow when a lot of network mounts where
being used, especially with clearcase ( > 30 mounts).

I suspect some df sync:s by default and for some reason this might be slow.

	Jan D.

* Re: dired too SLOW
@ 2002-03-09 20:02         ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-03-09 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, buff

It is nice to see some disadvantages of ClearCase.
That could encourage people to stick to CVS.

Could someone write an entry for PROBLEMS
recommending two solutions:

* Set the variable to turn off display of amount of free space.

* Don't use ClearCase.

From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-03-09 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: buff, emacs-devel

    In some cases (the Solaris 2.6 automounter comes to mind), the problem
    can be worked around by doing the stat (or ls) before the statvfs (or df).
    It might be wise to modify Emacs to do that.

Emacs does do the ls first.

      Perhaps the Emacs PROBLEMS section can suggest
    that users use GNU fileutils df on older SVR4 and SunOS 4.x hosts, to
    avoid that problem on those hosts.

If that is what's happening, your proposal seems reasonable.

* Re: dired too SLOW
@ 2002-03-10  5:51           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-03-10  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: buff, emacs-devel

On Sat, 9 Mar 2002, Richard Stallman wrote:

> Could someone write an entry for PROBLEMS
> recommending two solutions:

I'll do it.