* Default HOME to USERPROFILE on w32?
@ 2005-05-24 21:58 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-05-24 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

There was a discussion in oct 2004 about what to do on w32 if HOME env
var was not set. I think the decision pretty much was to use
USERPROFILE. There was one exception: If c:\.emacs existed then this
should be used instead. (See for example
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-10/msg01168.html).

It does not seem like this has been implemented. Are there any
objections do this?

* Re: Default HOME to USERPROFILE on w32?
@ 2005-05-24 22:53 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2005-05-24 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/24/05, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> wrote:
> There was a discussion in oct 2004 about what to do on w32 if HOME env
> var was not set. I think the decision pretty much was to use
> USERPROFILE.

I didn't read it, but, why USERPROFILE and not, for example, APPDATA?
Emacs uses HOME to read .emacs.el, but also to write quite a lot of
stuff, and that seems more appropriate for %APPDATA%\.emacs\, for
example, that %USERPROFILE%\

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: Default HOME to USERPROFILE on w32?
@ 2005-05-24 22:58 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2005-05-24 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> There was a discussion in oct 2004 about what to do on w32 if HOME env
> var was not set. I think the decision pretty much was to use
> USERPROFILE. There was one exception: If c:\.emacs existed then this
> should be used instead. (See for example
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-10/msg01168.html).
>
> It does not seem like this has been implemented. Are there any
> objections do this?

No objections, I think there was consensus that it should be done, and
Stefan implemented something in Lisp, but Eli and I thought it better
to do in the C code where the environment is initialized, to avoid
some code getting a different value during startup.

* Re: Default HOME to USERPROFILE on w32?
@ 2005-05-24 23:22 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2005-05-24 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> There was a discussion in oct 2004 about what to do on w32 if HOME env
> var was not set. I think the decision pretty much was to use
> USERPROFILE.

Note that it is probably more portable (but more work) to use
SHGetSpecialFolderLocation(..., CSIDL_PROFILE,...) than the
USERPROFILE environment variable.

* Re: Default HOME to USERPROFILE on w32?
@ 2005-05-25  7:04 LENNART BORGMAN
From: LENNART BORGMAN @ 2005-05-25  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Maybe you could read the arguments from last october about this?

Kind regards,
Lennart