* Mac OS X - Option key as meta and dead keys
@ 2003-01-02  7:45 Enrico Franconi
From: Enrico Franconi @ 2003-01-02  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've always used the command key as meta, so I never noticed the
following strange behaviour when the option key is set as meta.

Suppose I want to type meta-e (sentence-end) by using the option key
as meta, that is with mac-command-key-is-meta set to nil. I need to
type option-e twice, since option-e is a dead key in MacOS, so the
first use of it does not do anything. In general, it appears that
whenever option-<something> is a dead key combination, there is the
need to type the option-<something> twice.

Note that if I use emacs -nw from Terminal (with the Terminal setting
'use option as meta'), then option-<something> works perfectly as
expected, i.e., it is never the case that option-<something> is a dead
key.

cheers
-- e.

* Re: Mac OS X - Option key as meta and dead keys
@ 2003-01-02 17:11 ` Steven Tamm
From: Steven Tamm @ 2003-01-02 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

I think there probably needs to be a "mac-pass-option-to-system"
variable to go along with command and control.   This would prevent the
option-e from being sent to the system first (and trapped).  I'll add
this in soon.

-Steven