* Anyone thought about a lisp packaging system, similar to Xemacs?
@ 2002-03-21 20:58 Stephen Eglen
From: Stephen Eglen @ 2002-03-21 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has there been any discussion about the merits of copying the XEmacs
packaging system for Emacs?  Someone asked me about this, and I didn't
know much about it personally.  But such a packaging scheme might fit
in with my interest of providing some kind of repository for elisp
files, so that users can easily check for upgrades of packages, and
get them installed with little fuss.  (I'm not familiar with the
XEmacs package system, but something like Red Hat's/Ximian's rpm
system might be nice, although possibly also overkill for small lisp
files).

So, if any of you have been thinking about this sort of thing, I'd be
interested in hearing people's thoughts.

Stephen

* Re: Anyone thought about a lisp packaging system, similar to Xemacs?
@ 2002-03-22  9:27 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-03-22  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Stephen Eglen <eglen@pcg.wustl.edu>
> Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 14:58:39 -0600
>
> Has there been any discussion about the merits of copying the XEmacs
> packaging system for Emacs?

Yes; you might try searching the archives of this list for past
discussions.