* flymake and filenames matching [0-9]+.tex
@ 2010-11-26 19:09 Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2010-11-26 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

A Debian bug has been filed against emacs23[1] complaining that flymake
won't work on TeX files whose names end in [0-9]+.tex.

Since there is a regex in flymake-allowed-file-name-masks that matches
those filenames, I suspect the behavior is intentional -- I was hoping
someone could verify that.

Thanks
--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org

* Re: flymake and filenames matching [0-9]+.tex
@ 2010-11-27 20:26 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-11-27 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Browning; +Cc: emacs-devel

Rob Browning wrote:

> A Debian bug has been filed against emacs23[1] complaining that flymake
> won't work on TeX files whose names end in [0-9]+.tex.
>
> Since there is a regex in flymake-allowed-file-name-masks that matches
> those filenames, I suspect the behavior is intentional -- I was hoping
> someone could verify that.

I suspect whoever wrote that used the convention:

  master.tex:
  %% This is the master file.

  %% These are included files. These cannot be latex'd directly,
  %% instead latex the main file.
  \input{chapter1.tex}
  \input{chapter2.tex}

Who knows how widespread that convention is, but since it is a
defcustom, anyone can change their personal setting.

It seems a bit limited, since eg it does not work for \include as well
(easily fixed though), and it does not work if the .tex extension is
omitted from the \input command.

* Re: flymake and filenames matching [0-9]+.tex
@ 2010-12-11  3:10   ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2010-12-11  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> I suspect whoever wrote that used the convention:
>
>   master.tex:
>   %% This is the master file.
>
>   %% These are included files. These cannot be latex'd directly,
>   %% instead latex the main file.
>   \input{chapter1.tex}
>   \input{chapter2.tex}
>
> Who knows how widespread that convention is, but since it is a
> defcustom, anyone can change their personal setting.
>
> It seems a bit limited, since eg it does not work for \include as well
> (easily fixed though), and it does not work if the .tex extension is
> omitted from the \input command.

So would you say this should be considered a bug or intended behavior?
I'm just trying to determine the appropriate way to handle the original
report.

Thanks
--

@ 2010-12-13  2:21     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-12-13  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Browning; +Cc: emacs-devel

Rob Browning wrote:

> So would you say this should be considered a bug or intended behavior?

Both? :)

I filed a bug about improving it:

Meantime, anyone affected can customize their value of

@ 2010-12-13  2:29       ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2010-12-13  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: control, 599003, emacs-devel

forwarded 599003 bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
thanks

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> Rob Browning wrote:
>
>> So would you say this should be considered a bug or intended behavior?
>
> Both? :)
>
> I filed a bug about improving it:
>
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=7627

That's perfect.  I'll mark it as forwarded for now.

Thanks