* Re: CVS emacs crashes right after startup
       [not found]       ` <q5gd69gjfpg.fsf@lucent.com>
@ 2004-01-19 21:01         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-01-19 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, emacs-devel

> From: Klaus Zeitler <kzeitler@lucent.com>
> Date: 19 Jan 2004 13:16:59 +0100

>     Eli>
>     Eli> Can you force GCC 3.2.2 to invoke the Solaris linker, and see if that
>     Eli> helps?
>
> if I only knew how. According to gccint info I think it should be possible
>
> ---snip ---
>    The program `collect2' is installed as `ld' in the directory where
> the passes of the compiler are installed.  When `collect2' needs to
> find the _real_ `ld', it tries the following file names:
>
>    * `real-ld' in the directories listed in the compiler's search
>      directories.
>
>    * `real-ld' in the directories listed in the environment variable
>      `PATH'.
>
>    * The file specified in the `REAL_LD_FILE_NAME' configuration macro,
>      if specified.
>
>    * `ld' in the compiler's search directories, except that `collect2'
>      will not execute itself recursively.
>
>    * `ld' in `PATH'.
>
>    "The compiler's search directories" means all the directories where
> `gcc' searches for passes of the compiler.  This includes directories
> that you specify with `-B'.
> --- snip ---
> I've tried a link of real-ld to SUN ld and made sure that this link and also
> SUN ld are found first in my PATH, but gcc 3.3.2 always calls GNU ld.
> Do you know how I can force the use of a specific linker? If not I guess
> I have to ask in gnu.help.gcc.

Please wait for a while, perhaps someone here will know (I've cc'ed
emacs-devel, in the hope that more people will read this).  If not,
asking on the GCC lists is a good idea.

Thanks for working on this.

* Re: CVS emacs crashes right after startup
@ 2004-02-02 12:03           ` Klaus Zeitler
From: Klaus Zeitler @ 2004-02-02 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, emacs-devel

    >> From: Klaus Zeitler <kzeitler@lucent.com>
    >> Date: 19 Jan 2004 13:16:59 +0100

    Eli> Can you force GCC 3.2.2 to invoke the Solaris linker, and see if that
    Eli> helps?
    >>
    >> if I only knew how. According to gccint info I think it should be
    >> possible

didn't get any responses in the gcc mailing list. Therefore I went ahead and
built my own gcc making sure that it would use the solaris linker.
Now with this gcc emacs runs fine. So it is, as we've already suspected,
a linker problem.

|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
|  Email:             kzeitler@lucent.com  |
---
The easiest way to figure the cost of living is
to take your income and add ten percent.

* Re: CVS emacs crashes right after startup
@ 2004-02-02 18:49             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-02-02 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, emacs-devel

> From: Klaus Zeitler <kzeitler@lucent.com>
> Date: 02 Feb 2004 13:03:01 +0100
>
> didn't get any responses in the gcc mailing list. Therefore I went ahead and
> built my own gcc making sure that it would use the solaris linker.
> Now with this gcc emacs runs fine. So it is, as we've already suspected,
> a linker problem.

This probably deserves an entry in etc/PROBLEMS.

Thanks for working on this problem.

* Re: CVS emacs crashes right after startup
@ 2004-02-03 14:35             ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-02-03 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, eliz, emacs-devel

It would be useful to add an item to etc/PROBLEMS to describe
this problem and how to solve it.  Can you write one?

* Re: CVS emacs crashes right after startup
@ 2004-02-04 10:19               ` Klaus Zeitler
From: Klaus Zeitler @ 2004-02-04 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, eliz, emacs-devel

    Richard> It would be useful to add an item to etc/PROBLEMS to describe
    Richard> this problem and how to solve it.  Can you write one?

* emacs crashes with SIGSEGV in XtInitializeWidgetClass under X,

but runs fine when called with option "-nw". This has been observed when emacs
is linked with GNU ld instead of Solaris ld. To check which ld is used by
gcc add "-V" to TEMACS_LDFLAGS in src/Makefile. Alternatively the executable
size may be used as an indication of which linker is used. The size is
approximately 15M when linked with solaris ld compared to 9M when linked with
GNU ld.

The fix is to reconfigure/install gcc, making sure that the SUN linker is used.

|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
|  Email:             kzeitler@lucent.com  |
---
Power corrupts.  Absolute power is kind of neat.
-- John Lehman, Secretary of the Navy 1981-1987

* Re: CVS emacs crashes right after startup
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-02-04 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, rms, emacs-devel

> From: Klaus Zeitler <kzeitler@lucent.com>
> Date: 04 Feb 2004 11:19:26 +0100
>
> * emacs crashes with SIGSEGV in XtInitializeWidgetClass under X,
>
> but runs fine when called with option "-nw". This has been observed when emacs
> is linked with GNU ld instead of Solaris ld. To check which ld is used by
> gcc add "-V" to TEMACS_LDFLAGS in src/Makefile. Alternatively the executable
> size may be used as an indication of which linker is used. The size is
> approximately 15M when linked with solaris ld compared to 9M when linked with
> GNU ld.
>
> The fix is to reconfigure/install gcc, making sure that the SUN linker is used.

Thanks.

To make this entry more specific, could you please mention the
versions of Solaris, GCC, and Binutils that are known to cause this
problem?

* Re: CVS emacs crashes right after startup
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-02-04 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, eliz, rms, emacs-devel

> but runs fine when called with option "-nw". This has been observed when
> emacs is linked with GNU ld instead of Solaris ld. To check which ld is
> used by gcc add "-V" to TEMACS_LDFLAGS in src/Makefile. Alternatively the
> executable size may be used as an indication of which linker is
> used. The size is approximately 15M when linked with solaris ld compared
> to 9M when linked with GNU ld.

As a reader, I'd think "damn, why can't they fix it so I can save 6MB and
startup faster"?

* Re: CVS emacs crashes right after startup
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-02-04 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, emacs-pretest-bug

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: 04 Feb 2004 12:47:22 -0500
>
> As a reader, I'd think "damn, why can't they fix it so I can save 6MB and
> startup faster"?

I strongly suspect that the difference in sizes is due to debug info
(thus doesn't affect startup time at all), and that the extra debug
info is confusing unexec to the point that it produces a bad binary.

Alas, I have no access to a Solaris machine with GCC and Binutils, not
to mention a total lack of time to work on this even if I did.

* Re: CVS emacs crashes right after startup
@ 2004-02-05  9:27                   ` Klaus Zeitler
From: Klaus Zeitler @ 2004-02-05  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, rms, emacs-devel

    Eli> To make this entry more specific, could you please mention the
    Eli> versions of Solaris, GCC, and Binutils that are known to cause this
    Eli> problem?

Here's a better version:

* emacs crashes with SIGSEGV in XtInitializeWidgetClass under X on Solaris 5.8,

but runs fine when called with option "-nw". This has been observed with gcc
3.3.2 and GNU ld from binutils 2.14 when emacs is linked with GNU ld instead
of Solaris ld. To check which ld is used by gcc add "-V" to TEMACS_LDFLAGS in
src/Makefile. Alternatively the executable size may be used as an indication
of which linker is used. The size is approximately 15M when linked with
solaris ld compared to 9M when linked with GNU ld.

The fix is to reconfigure/install gcc, making sure that the SUN linker is used.

|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
|  Email:             kzeitler@lucent.com  |
---
As long as the answer is right, who cares if the question is wrong?

* Re: CVS emacs crashes right after startup
@ 2004-02-18  5:55                 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-02-18  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, emacs-devel

> From: Klaus Zeitler <kzeitler@lucent.com>
> Date: 04 Feb 2004 11:19:26 +0100

>     Richard>
>     Richard> It would be useful to add an item to etc/PROBLEMS to describe
>     Richard> this problem and how to solve it.  Can you write one?
>
> * emacs crashes with SIGSEGV in XtInitializeWidgetClass under X,

Thanks, I installed this.