* RMAIL in the next release
@ 2004-05-10  8:13 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-05-10  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

IIRC, there's a special branch of Emacs where RMAIL was modified to
not convert the incoming mail to the Babyl format, and instead store
it in the mbox fiormat.  I think there was also some support for MIME
in that branch.

How about merging that branch with CVS HEAD now, so that it could be
part of the next release?

* Re: RMAIL in the next release
@ 2004-05-10 14:23 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-05-10 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> IIRC, there's a special branch of Emacs where RMAIL was modified to
> not convert the incoming mail to the Babyl format, and instead store
> it in the mbox fiormat.  I think there was also some support for MIME
> in that branch.

Oops, completely forgot about that one.  We had already decided to merge it
into the trunk (the reason at the time was to get it better tested), but
it looks like noone did it.

Is the maintainer of that branch somewhere?  I think it'd be fair to merge
it in, but only if it's currently considered "fine" by the few people who
tested it and if the maintainer is around so he can deal with the
bug reports.

* Re: RMAIL in the next release
@ 2004-05-10 16:13   ` Paul Michael Reilly
From: Paul Michael Reilly @ 2004-05-10 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>IIRC, there's a special branch of Emacs where RMAIL was modified to
>>not convert the incoming mail to the Babyl format, and instead store
>>it in the mbox fiormat.  I think there was also some support for MIME
>>in that branch.
>

> Oops, completely forgot about that one.  We had already decided to merge it
> into the trunk (the reason at the time was to get it better tested), but
> it looks like noone did it.
>
> Is the maintainer of that branch somewhere?  I think it'd be fair to merge
> it in, but only if it's currently considered "fine" by the few people who
> tested it and if the maintainer is around so he can deal with the
> bug reports.

If you're talking about merging the branch in to test it for some
prolonged period, then go for it.  I will respond to bug reports,
although it has been many, many months since I last worked on this piece
of code.  If you have in mind to ship it anytime soon then that is a bad
idea.  It has not been sufficiently tested to release yet.  In that case
do the merge right after the release so the code can have a suitable
test period by the Emacs developers.

-pmr

* Re: RMAIL in the next release
@ 2004-05-10 17:55 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-05-10 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    IIRC, there's a special branch of Emacs where RMAIL was modified to
    not convert the incoming mail to the Babyl format, and instead store
    it in the mbox fiormat.  I think there was also some support for MIME
    in that branch.

    How about merging that branch with CVS HEAD now, so that it could be
    part of the next release?

This was waiting for me to modify unrmail so that it did not depend
on Rmail.

I have now done that rewrite and installed it.  The new unrmail for me
with a small amount of testing, but it definitely needs more.  In particular
I am not sure it really works right for various coding systems and not
sure it handles the attributes and keywords correctly.

Could people try it, and report to me that they have tried it?
This needs to be tested pretty thoroughly before we switch
to the new Rmail.

* Re: RMAIL in the next release
@ 2004-05-11  7:26     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-05-11  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 12:13:00 -0400
> From: Paul Michael Reilly <pmr@pajato.com>
>
> If you're talking about merging the branch in to test it for some
> prolonged period, then go for it.  I will respond to bug reports,
> although it has been many, many months since I last worked on this piece
> of code.  If you have in mind to ship it anytime soon then that is a bad
> idea.  It has not been sufficiently tested to release yet.

Since the pretest has not started yet, we are looking at several
months worth of testing anyway (based on past experience of Emacs
releases).