* MH-E 8
@ 2005-12-11  5:03 Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-12-11  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

It is probably better if we postpone a major update till after the
release.  How much change would MH-E version 8 entail?

* Re: MH-E 8
@ 2005-12-13  1:09 ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2005-12-13  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard M. Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> It is probably better if we postpone a major update till after the
> release.  How much change would MH-E version 8 entail?

Richard, there is little to worry about. If you recall, MH-E now uses
the Emacs CVS repository. So CVS Emacs already has an alpha of MH-E 8.0
(aka 7.85).

>From the perspective of Emacs, "releasing" MH-E simply entails modifying
the mh-version variable and etc/NEWS accordingly.

MH-E is very stable right now and will continue to be so until the
release of 8.0. The only changes that will go in before then include
docstring changes as I have described before plus minor changes to fix
inconsistencies that the manual update reveals. Because some of these
changes include renaming of defcustoms, I'm waiting until the manual is
done before making the release because after that we'll have to wait
until 9.0 to make such changes.

For a ballpark estimate, we're looking at about a month or so.

>        However, the use of doc strings in the manual without extensive
> rewriting would tend to make the manual less than ideal.  Doc strings
> and a manual are rather different, and the text that is good for one
> is not very good for the other.

For MH-E, it's working out wonderfully.

* Re: MH-E 8
@ 2005-12-13 23:33   ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-12-13 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    > It is probably better if we postpone a major update till after the
    > release.  How much change would MH-E version 8 entail?

    Richard, there is little to worry about. If you recall, MH-E now uses
    the Emacs CVS repository. So CVS Emacs already has an alpha of MH-E 8.0
    (aka 7.85).

In that case, we would like to have the final MH-E 8 before the Emacs
release.

    For a ballpark estimate, we're looking at about a month or so.

We surely won't make the release within a month.

    >        However, the use of doc strings in the manual without extensive
    > rewriting would tend to make the manual less than ideal.  Doc strings
    > and a manual are rather different, and the text that is good for one
    > is not very good for the other.

    For MH-E, it's working out wonderfully.

I am surprised.  Normally this results in making either the doc string
or the manual strained.

* Re: MH-E 8
@ 2005-12-13 23:45     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-12-13 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Bill Wohler, emacs-devel

"Richard M. Stallman" <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     For a ballpark estimate, we're looking at about a month or so.
>
> We surely won't make the release within a month.

For a moment there I thought you meant "any month".

* Re: MH-E 8
@ 2005-12-14  0:02     ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2005-12-14  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard M. Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

>     > It is probably better if we postpone a major update till after the
>     > release.  How much change would MH-E version 8 entail?
>
>     Richard, there is little to worry about. If you recall, MH-E now uses
>     the Emacs CVS repository. So CVS Emacs already has an alpha of MH-E 8.0
>     (aka 7.85).
>
> In that case, we would like to have the final MH-E 8 before the Emacs
> release.

Very well. I've updated FOR-RELEASE accordingly.