* emacs face widget
@ 2004-01-04  2:33 mr mike
From: mr mike @ 2004-01-04  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

is the face widget code in src/widget.c, widget.h, widgetprv.h used, or
is it just bitrotted code?

mike

* Re: emacs face widget
@ 2004-01-04  6:28 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-01-04  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: mr mike <mwingert7149@wowway.com>
> Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 21:33:03 -0500
>
> is the face widget code in src/widget.c, widget.h, widgetprv.h used, or
> is it just bitrotted code?

It looks like it's used: you will see that xterm.c and frame.c use
(for the toolkit build) the two external functions defined by
widget.c.

Why did you ask?

* Re: emacs face widget
@ 2004-01-04 15:06   ` mr mike
From: mr mike @ 2004-01-04 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Eli,

I'm asking because there is a lot of code like this:

#if 0

...some code...

#endif

thanks.

mike

On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 01:28, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: mr mike <mwingert7149@wowway.com>
> > Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 21:33:03 -0500
> >
> > is the face widget code in src/widget.c, widget.h, widgetprv.h used, or
> > is it just bitrotted code?
>
> It looks like it's used: you will see that xterm.c and frame.c use
> (for the toolkit build) the two external functions defined by
> widget.c.
>
> Why did you ask?

* Re: emacs face widget
@ 2004-01-04 18:54 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-01-04 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    is the face widget code in src/widget.c, widget.h, widgetprv.h used, or
    is it just bitrotted code?

The comment "face widget" is misleading.  I think this widget
is used when Emacs runs on Xt, to hold the actual contents
of the Emacs frame.

* Re: emacs face widget
@ 2004-01-05  3:40     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-01-05  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: eliz, emacs-devel

    I'm asking because there is a lot of code like this:

    #if 0

    ...some code...

    #endif

I never entirely understood Xt, so I got that file to work
by essentially trial and error.  I probably left the code
that I replaced inside #if 0.

It would be nice if someone who really understood Xt were
to rewrite this file and make it work cleanly.  I would expect
it could be much cleaner than it is.

* Re: emacs face widget
@ 2004-01-08 13:49       ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2004-01-08 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: eliz, mwingert7149, emacs-devel

>     I'm asking because there is a lot of code like this:
>
>     #if 0
>
>     ...some code...
>
>     #endif
>
> I never entirely understood Xt, so I got that file to work
> by essentially trial and error.  I probably left the code
> that I replaced inside #if 0.
>
> It would be nice if someone who really understood Xt were
> to rewrite this file and make it work cleanly.  I would expect
> it could be much cleaner than it is.

I'll have a look.  But are we supporting Emacs as an external widget,
that is can be compiled into other applications like any other Xt
widget, or is it just for Emacs internally?  I don't think Emacs as
an external widget works now.

	Jan D.

* Re: emacs face widget
@ 2004-01-11 19:36         ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-01-11 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: eliz, mwingert7149, emacs-devel

    I'll have a look.  But are we supporting Emacs as an external widget,
    that is can be compiled into other applications like any other Xt
    widget, or is it just for Emacs internally?

I don't know whether it tries to be an external widget.
I believe Emacs needs this merely to work with Xt at all.

* Re: emacs face widget
@ 2004-01-11 20:02           ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2004-01-11 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: eliz, mwingert7149, emacs-devel

>     I'll have a look.  But are we supporting Emacs as an external
> widget,
>     that is can be compiled into other applications like any other Xt
>     widget, or is it just for Emacs internally?
>
> I don't know whether it tries to be an external widget.

After inspection, it does not look like it is possible to use it like
that.

> I believe Emacs needs this merely to work with Xt at all.

Yes and no.  For Lesstif/Motif/Athena there are DrawingArea type widgets
one can use, but for Lucid it is needed.  One idea I am contemplating
is to make a drawing area widget for Lucid in lwlib, and then we can
mostly discard the stuff in widget.c and instead use the drawing area
as just any X window (like the GTK port does).  This should reduce
the amount of code a bit.  There may be issues with toolbar and/or
menubar, I haven't looked at that yet.

	Jan D.