* Subtle But Intriguing Bug After restart-emacs and branch cut
@ 2022-11-30 17:09 T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-11-30 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

This is a subtle bug that will likely only happen once each time a new
branch cut.

1. I was running emacs 29.0.50 built from Git

2. I did a git pull and rebuild from within that emacs after the
   branch cut and did a make install

3. I ran restart-emacs in the running emacs-29 it came up and claimed
   to be emacs 29.0.50

4. I did C-x C-c to kill that emacs, and restarted emacs -- voila it
   claims to be emacs 30.0.50

So -- bug or feature?

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

* Re: Subtle But Intriguing Bug After restart-emacs and branch cut
@ 2022-11-30 17:50 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-11-30 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>
> Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 09:09:20 -0800
>
> This is a subtle bug that will likely only happen once each time a new
> branch cut.
>

> 1. I was running emacs 29.0.50 built from Git
>
> 2. I did a git pull and rebuild from within that emacs after the
>    branch cut and did a make install
>
> 3. I ran restart-emacs in the running emacs-29 it came up and claimed
>    to be emacs 29.0.50
>
> 4. I did C-x C-c to kill that emacs, and restarted emacs -- voila it
>    claims to be emacs 30.0.50
>
> So -- bug or feature?

You decide.  restart-emacs re-execs the same executable as the one in which
you invoke the command.  So basically what you see is expected when you
rebuild, I think.

* Re: Subtle But Intriguing Bug After restart-emacs and branch cut
@ 2022-11-30 18:39   ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-11-30 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

Makes sense.
Eli Zaretskii writes:
 > > From: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>
 > > Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 09:09:20 -0800
 > >
 > > This is a subtle bug that will likely only happen once each time a new
 > > branch cut.
 > >

 > > 1. I was running emacs 29.0.50 built from Git
 > >
 > > 2. I did a git pull and rebuild from within that emacs after the
 > >    branch cut and did a make install
 > >
 > > 3. I ran restart-emacs in the running emacs-29 it came up and claimed
 > >    to be emacs 29.0.50
 > >
 > > 4. I did C-x C-c to kill that emacs, and restarted emacs -- voila it
 > >    claims to be emacs 30.0.50
 > >
 > > So -- bug or feature?
 >
 > You decide.  restart-emacs re-execs the same executable as the one in which
 > you invoke the command.  So basically what you see is expected when you
 > rebuild, I think.

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮