* or-follow-link and EWW as default browser
@ 2022-10-18 22:46 T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-10-18 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I use EWW for everything, ie browse-url-default-browser is
eww-browse-url.

Everything works fine, but I just realized that opening links to web
pages in org mode buffers by pressing C-c C-o opens the page in EWW,
but the major mode is org-mode, which means none of eww keybindings,
including eww-follow-link by pressing "enter" are active --not sure
when this started happening but must be something recent?

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

* Re: or-follow-link and EWW as default browser
@ 2022-10-19  6:45 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-10-19  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> I use EWW for everything, ie browse-url-default-browser is
> eww-browse-url.
>
> Everything works fine, but I just realized that opening links to web
> pages in org mode buffers by pressing C-c C-o opens the page in EWW,
> but the major mode is org-mode, which means none of eww keybindings,
> including eww-follow-link by pressing "enter" are active --not sure
> when this started happening but must be something recent?

Can you also trigger the problem by calling eww-browse-url directly?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: or-follow-link and EWW as default browser
@ 2022-10-19 13:52   ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-10-19 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yantar92; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

No, eww-browse-url does not trigger the problem when called directly.

@ 2022-10-20  4:54     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-10-20  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> No, eww-browse-url does not trigger the problem when called directly.

Then, could you please provide a reproducer starting from emacs -Q?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: or-follow-link and EWW as default browser
@ 2022-10-20 14:03       ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-10-20 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yantar92; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

Try this:

1. emacs -q
2. C-x b foo RET
3. M-x org-mode
4. Type [[https://cnn.com][cnn]]
5. C-c C-o
5. check value of major mode after eww has rendered the CNN page

@ 2022-10-20 23:12         ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2022-10-20 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> Try this:
>
> 1. emacs -q
> 2. C-x b foo RET
> 3. M-x org-mode
> 4. Type [[https://cnn.com][cnn]]
> 5. C-c C-o
> 5. check value of major mode after eww has rendered the CNN page

I am unable to reproduce the issue using the above recipe using Emacs
29.0.50 built from sources approx 5 days ago. I did need to add one
additional step, setting browse-url-browser-function to eww-browse-url,
but apart from that followed the recipe exactly.

The buffer containing the cnn page is in eww mode and C-h k <ret> with
cursor on a link reports eww-follow-link

GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
version 1.17.6, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2022-10-17 on a Fedora 36 xfce install

* Re: or-follow-link and EWW as default browser
@ 2022-10-21  3:18         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-10-21  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> Try this:
>
> 1. emacs -q
> 2. C-x b foo RET
> 3. M-x org-mode
> 4. Type [[https://cnn.com][cnn]]
> 5. C-c C-o
> 5. check value of major mode after eww has rendered the CNN page

When I try the provided steps, my system browser is used to open the
URL. Is there anything in your OS setup that makes the link open in
Emacs?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: or-follow-link and EWW as default browser
@ 2022-10-21 14:04           ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-10-21 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yantar92; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

@ 2022-10-21 14:13             ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-10-21 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> you need to customize browse-url-browser-function  to eww-browse-url Ihor Radchenko writes:

I did (using Emacs 29):

1. emacs -Q
2. C-x b foo RET
3. M-: (setq browse-url-browser-function #'eww-browse-url)
4. M-x org-mode
5. Type [[https://cnn.com][cnn]]
6. C-c C-o
7. M-: major-mode

I see "eww-mode", as expected.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: or-follow-link and EWW as default browser
@ 2022-10-21 14:22               ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-10-21 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yantar92; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

dont know what to  say if you customize that var it should call eww
not the system browser.

@ 2022-10-21 14:27                 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-10-21 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> dont know what to  say if you customize that var it should call eww
> not the system browser.

Of course. Note that I changed the recipe adding

3. M-: (setq browse-url-browser-function #'eww-browse-url)

As expected, eww is used to open the url.
Also, as expected, major-mode is eww-mode.
So, I am unable to reproduce the bug you reported following the steps I
detailed.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: or-follow-link and EWW as default browser
@ 2022-10-21 15:22                   ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-10-21 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yantar92; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

OK. I took a quick look at org-open-at-point and got lost in  its
code, I dont know  how to debug this any more.

I did do a debug-on-entry on org-mode before opening the link and it

@ 2022-10-21 23:01                     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-10-21 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> OK. I took a quick look at org-open-at-point and got lost in  its
> code, I dont know  how to debug this any more.

> I did do a debug-on-entry on org-mode before opening the link and it
> calls org-mode somewhere inside org-open-link-at-point for me.

There is no such function `org-open-link-at-point'.

Are you able to reproduce the problem following the exact steps I listed
in the previous message? If yes, what is your Emacs version? Org version?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: or-follow-link and EWW as default browser
@ 2022-10-22  1:34                       ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-10-22  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yantar92; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

yes, I can repro the problem. I typed that function name from memory

@ 2022-10-22  4:18                         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-10-22  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> yes, I can repro the problem. I typed that function name from memory

May you share the output of M-x emacs-version and M-x org-version?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: or-follow-link and EWW as default browser
@ 2022-10-24  1:31                           ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-10-24  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb18030, Size: 332 bytes --]

Emacs is built from Github @head
GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 6, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.34,
cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-10-05
Org mode version 9.5.5 (release_9.5.5 @ /usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/org/)

7©4 Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  •0Ü8

* Re: or-follow-link and EWW as default browser
@ 2022-10-24  3:35                             ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2022-10-24  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> Emacs is built from Github @head
> GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 6, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.34,
> cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-10-05
> Org mode version 9.5.5 (release_9.5.5 @ /usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/org/)

Raman,

I cannot reproduce the issue you are seeing using your recipe. I get the
cnn page opened in eww wiht all expected key bindings, including the
expected <ret> binding for following links.

My bersions are

GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
version 1.17.6, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2022-10-21

Org mode version 9.5.5 (release_9.5.5 @ /usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/org/)

The two main differences I note with our versions are

1. My build is from a later HEAD snapshot i.e. 21st Oct v 5th Oct
2. I'm building with lucid rather than GTK+

My suggestion would be to grab a recent HEAD snapshot and see if that
makes any differences (I did see some messages on the list about
browse-url, but didn't read them as I think they mainly related to
functionality on the windows platform). Perhaps there have been some changes
there in recent weeks).

The other suggestion I have, which is not specific to this issue, is to
build with the lucid toolkit rather than GTK. There has been a number of
discussions regarding issues and known bugs with the GTK build and given
you use stumpwm and are not concerned about the visual aspects of the
UI, there is little benefit gained from GTK. IN fact, my experience is
that lucid apps behave much better than gtk based ones under stumpwm. I
switched back to lucid a few months ago and have been very happy with
it.

* Re: or-follow-link and EWW as default browser
@ 2022-10-24  9:09                             ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-10-24  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> Emacs is built from Github @head
> GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 6, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.34,
> cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-10-05
> Org mode version 9.5.5 (release_9.5.5 @ /usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/org/)

I cannot reproduce on the latest Emacs master + built-in Org 9.5.5
following my steps.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,