* jit-lock still throws errors: font-lock-reference-face
@ 2022-09-19 16:38 T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-09-19 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Have updated multiple times from git, done a make bootstrap etc all to
no avail,
once in a while emacs throws  an error, but produces no backtrace even
if you toggle debug-on-error:

Error during redisplay: (jit-lock-function 9364) signaled (void-variable font-lock-reference-face)

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

* Re: jit-lock still throws errors: font-lock-reference-face
@ 2022-09-19 16:46 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-09-19 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> Have updated multiple times from git, done a make bootstrap etc all to
> no avail,
> once in a while emacs throws  an error, but produces no backtrace even
> if you toggle debug-on-error:
>
> Error during redisplay: (jit-lock-function 9364) signaled
> (void-variable font-lock-reference-face)

Are you sure you're really up-to-date?  I think this problem was fixed a
day or two ago.

* Re: jit-lock still throws errors: font-lock-reference-face
@ 2022-09-19 16:51   ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-09-19 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: larsi; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

will continue trying --- I thought the real fix was from Stefan which

@ 2022-09-19 16:56   ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-09-19 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb18030, Size: 665 bytes --]

Lars,

I think I found the problem: there are references to
font-lock-reference-face in external packages!

In my case, here is one that I use a lot: folding-mode.el

grep there says:
We really need some kind of backward compatible alias --- am sure
folding isn't the only external package that references that
reference-face

grep font-lock-reference *.el
folding.el:(defcustom folding-font-lock-begin-mark 'font-lock-reference-face
folding.el:(defcustom folding-font-lock-end-mark 'font-lock-reference-face
09:54:45 folding-20220110.1718 $

7©4 Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  •0Ü8

* Re: jit-lock still throws errors: font-lock-reference-face
@ 2022-09-19 17:18 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2022-09-19 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hello, Raman

On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 09:38:59 -0700, T.V Raman wrote:
> Have updated multiple times from git, done a make bootstrap etc all to
> no avail,
> once in a while emacs throws  an error, but produces no backtrace even
> if you toggle debug-on-error:

Try M-: (setq backtrace-on-redisplay-error t), which was designed for
just this sort of thing.  When a redisplay error occurs, a buffer
*Redisplay-trace* containing a backtrace will be created.  You just need
to display that buffer in a window somewhere.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: jit-lock still throws errors: font-lock-reference-face
@ 2022-09-19 17:22   ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-09-19 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acm; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

thx for that tip but I found the problem already, see other
note. Basically there are *many* external packages that refer to that
face.

@ 2022-09-19 17:23     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-09-19 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> I think I found the problem: there are references to
> font-lock-reference-face in external packages!
>
> In my case, here is one that I use a lot: folding-mode.el

This variable has been obsolete for almost a decade, and was finally
removed recently.  So you just have to get that fixed in the
folding-mode.el library.

* Re: jit-lock still throws errors: font-lock-reference-face
@ 2022-09-19 17:28       ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-09-19 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: larsi; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

but it's not just folding-mode -- it's  there in a lot of large
external packages -- e.g. auctex.

I think we're doing our users and developers a disservice by this type
of cosmetic yet breaking change.

For now I've done something even worse with respect to covering up the
problem, namely creating a defvar that stops the error. But this is
not good for emacs' long-term health,

@ 2022-09-19 18:35         ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-09-19 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> but it's not just folding-mode -- it's  there in a lot of large
> external packages -- e.g. auctex.

I downloaded the latest auctex, and I could see no reference to the
`font-lock-reference-face' variable there.  (It does reference the
`font-lock-reference-face' face, but that's as it should be.)

* Re: jit-lock still throws errors: font-lock-reference-face
@ 2022-09-19 19:30         ` chad
From: chad @ 2022-09-19 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: EMACS development team

I suspect you're being mislead by grep not grokking the difference
between a face and a variable?

~Chad

* Re: jit-lock still throws errors: font-lock-reference-face
@ 2022-09-19 20:07           ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-09-19 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yandros; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

possible,  but I've moved beyond this by just defining that var, it's
not worth arguing.

If we're  going to break packages, we're going to break packages
chad writes:
 > I suspect you're being mislead by grep not grokking the difference
 > between a face and a variable?
 >
 > ~Chad

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮