* Useful Or spurious: New byte-compiler warnings
@ 2022-05-31 15:37 T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-05-31 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I recently started getting warnings of the form:

emacspeak-speak.el:2267:2: Warning: docstring has wrong usage of
unescaped single quotes (use \= or different quoting)

Is this truly useful -- or is it spurious and therefore an annoyance
-- I just can tell.

All I can say is that this warning shows up on code that has been
working correctly for a long time.

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

* Re: Useful Or spurious: New byte-compiler warnings
@ 2022-05-31 15:48 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-05-31 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> I recently started getting warnings of the form:
>
> emacspeak-speak.el:2267:2: Warning: docstring has wrong usage of
> unescaped single quotes (use \= or different quoting)
>
> Is this truly useful -- or is it spurious and therefore an annoyance
> -- I just can tell.

It's to warn about things like

    (setq foo '(1 2 3))

in doc strings which turns into invalid code when displayed in *Help*.

* Re: Useful Or spurious: New byte-compiler warnings
@ 2022-05-31 16:30   ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-05-31 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: larsi; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

thanks for the clarification -- sounds useful, but perhaps it could
avoid warning about strings like:
" ...
's' means set.
'e' means erase.
..."
though am not sure how hard checking for corner cases will get.

I did fix all my code relatively quickly so am past it for now

@ 2022-05-31 16:33     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-05-31 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> thanks for the clarification -- sounds useful, but perhaps it could
> avoid warning about strings like:
> " ...
> 's' means set.
> 'e' means erase.
> ..."
> though am not sure how hard checking for corner cases will get.

Those should be

> `s' means set.
> `e' means erase.

if they're key strokes.

* Re: Useful Or spurious: New byte-compiler warnings
@ 2022-06-01  9:22       ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2022-06-01  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: T.V Raman, Emacs developers

> Those should be
>
> > `s' means set.
> > `e' means erase.
>
> if they're key strokes.

In Emacs 29 or later, that could be \\`s' and \\`e' to use the
'help-key-binding' font.

* Re: Useful Or spurious: New byte-compiler warnings
@ 2022-06-01 14:07         ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-06-01 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stefan; +Cc: larsi, raman, emacs-devel

The font selection is nice, but we should hide these nits from the
developer.

@ 2022-06-01 14:22           ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2022-06-01 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen, Emacs developers

T.V Raman <raman@google.com> writes:

> The font selection is nice, but we should hide these nits from the
> developer.

I'm not against that, but I don't know how to differentiate between
the symbol `s' and the key `s' here without special markup.

(I should have said the `help-key-binding' "face" rather than "font"
here, sorry.)

* Re: Useful Or spurious: New byte-compiler warnings
@ 2022-06-01 14:43             ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-06-01 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stefan; +Cc: raman, larsi, emacs-devel

Understand the issue, but emacs strings already have too many
backslashes
Stefan Kangas writes:
 > T.V Raman <raman@google.com> writes:
 >
 > > The font selection is nice, but we should hide these nits from the
 > > developer.
 >
 > I'm not against that, but I don't know how to differentiate between
 > the symbol `s' and the key `s' here without special markup.
 >
 > (I should have said the `help-key-binding' "face" rather than "font"
 > here, sorry.)

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮