* Repeat undo-only is not working
       [not found] <20210823131240.rxfepbz4q2buo733.ref@Ergus>
@ 2021-08-23 13:12 ` Ergus
From: Ergus @ 2021-08-23 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Juri:

I have this config:

```
(global-set-key (kbd "C-/") #'undo-only)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-M-/") #'undo-redo)

(with-eval-after-load 'repeat
   (defvar undo-redo-repeat-map
     (let ((map (make-sparse-keymap)))
       (define-key map "/" #'undo-only)
       (define-key map "M-/" #'undo-redo)
       (define-key map "U" #'undo)
       map)
     "Keymap to repeat undo-redo key sequences.  Used in `repeat-mode'.")
   (put 'undo-only 'repeat-map 'undo-redo-repeat-map)
   (put 'undo-redo 'repeat-map 'undo-redo-repeat-map)
   (put 'undo 'repeat-map 'undo-redo-repeat-map))
```

And for some reason the repeat map does not activates with "undo-only"
(it doesn't even shows the message in the minibuffer) but with "undo"
and "undo-redo" it works as expected. Is there anything special in
"undo-only" that disables repeat-mode?

* Re: Repeat undo-only is not working
@ 2021-08-23 13:52   ` Fu Yuan
From: Fu Yuan @ 2021-08-23 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ergus; +Cc: emacs-devel, Juri Linkov

> 在 2021年8月23日,上午6:17,Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> 写道:
>
> Hi Juri:
>
> I have this config:
>
> ```
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-/") #'undo-only)
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-M-/") #'undo-redo)
>
> (with-eval-after-load 'repeat
>  (defvar undo-redo-repeat-map
>    (let ((map (make-sparse-keymap)))
>      (define-key map "/" #'undo-only)
>      (define-key map "M-/" #'undo-redo)
>      (define-key map "U" #'undo)
>      map)
>    "Keymap to repeat undo-redo key sequences.  Used in `repeat-mode'.")
>  (put 'undo-only 'repeat-map 'undo-redo-repeat-map)
>  (put 'undo-redo 'repeat-map 'undo-redo-repeat-map)
>  (put 'undo 'repeat-map 'undo-redo-repeat-map))
> ```
>
> And for some reason the repeat map does not activates with "undo-only"
> (it doesn't even shows the message in the minibuffer) but with "undo"
> and "undo-redo" it works as expected. Is there anything special in
> "undo-only" that disables repeat-mode?

Maybe because undo-only sets this-command to undo?

Yuan

* Re: Repeat undo-only is not working
@ 2021-08-23 16:06   ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2021-08-23 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ergus; +Cc: emacs-devel

> ```
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-/") #'undo-only)
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-M-/") #'undo-redo)
>
> (with-eval-after-load 'repeat
>   (defvar undo-redo-repeat-map
>     (let ((map (make-sparse-keymap)))
>       (define-key map "/" #'undo-only)
>       (define-key map "M-/" #'undo-redo)

BTW, a typo here: (kbd "M-/") is missing.

>       (define-key map "U" #'undo)
>       map)
>     "Keymap to repeat undo-redo key sequences.  Used in `repeat-mode'.")
>   (put 'undo-only 'repeat-map 'undo-redo-repeat-map)
>   (put 'undo-redo 'repeat-map 'undo-redo-repeat-map)
>   (put 'undo 'repeat-map 'undo-redo-repeat-map))
> ```
>
> And for some reason the repeat map does not activates with "undo-only"
> (it doesn't even shows the message in the minibuffer) but with "undo"
> and "undo-redo" it works as expected. Is there anything special in
> "undo-only" that disables repeat-mode?

Sorry, this part of the feature is still unpolished.
The intention was to disallow repeating of undo with
the key sequence `C-/ u', but allow only with `C-x u u'.
Maybe this was a wrong idea?  Do you think it should be
possible to type `C-/' to initiate the repeating sequence
`C-/ u u u'?

* Re: Repeat undo-only is not working
@ 2021-08-23 20:30     ` Ergus
From: Ergus @ 2021-08-23 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 07:06:01PM +0300, Juri Linkov wrote:

>Sorry, this part of the feature is still unpolished.
>The intention was to disallow repeating of undo with
>the key sequence `C-/ u', but allow only with `C-x u u'.
>Maybe this was a wrong idea?  Do you think it should be
>possible to type `C-/' to initiate the repeating sequence
>`C-/ u u u'?

The point is that in this case it is useful for doing things like:

C-/ u u u r r

So not only to start the sequence, but to call other commands in the map
that maybe don't need a binding in the global map (undo-redo,
winner-redo, avy-prev and some other tricks)

* Re: Repeat undo-only is not working
@ 2021-08-23 20:50     ` Jim Porter
From: Jim Porter @ 2021-08-23 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov, Ergus; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 8/23/2021 9:06 AM, Juri Linkov wrote:
> Sorry, this part of the feature is still unpolished.
> The intention was to disallow repeating of undo with
> the key sequence `C-/ u', but allow only with `C-x u u'.
> Maybe this was a wrong idea?  Do you think it should be
> possible to type `C-/' to initiate the repeating sequence
> `C-/ u u u'?

For what it's worth, the intention matches my personal expectation. I'd
be pretty surprised if a key sequence with a single input event (e.g.
`C-/') activated a repeat-mode map. My mental model is that repeat-mode
"saves" all but the last input event of a key sequence and then uses it
as a prefix to the subsequently-pressed keys.

Perhaps it should be possible to support the behavior in the original
post, but I'm happy with how things are now.

- Jim

* Re: Repeat undo-only is not working
@ 2021-08-24  6:40       ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2021-08-24  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Porter; +Cc: Ergus, emacs-devel

>> Sorry, this part of the feature is still unpolished.
>> The intention was to disallow repeating of undo with
>> the key sequence `C-/ u', but allow only with `C-x u u'.
>> Maybe this was a wrong idea?  Do you think it should be
>> possible to type `C-/' to initiate the repeating sequence
>> `C-/ u u u'?
>
> For what it's worth, the intention matches my personal expectation. I'd be
> pretty surprised if a key sequence with a single input event (e.g. `C-/')
> activated a repeat-mode map. My mental model is that repeat-mode "saves"
> all but the last input event of a key sequence and then uses it as a prefix
> to the subsequently-pressed keys.
>
> Perhaps it should be possible to support the behavior in the original post,
> but I'm happy with how things are now.

So there is a need to distinguish between these cases

  C-/ --- u u u
  C-x u --- u u

("---" visually separates the initial and repeating sequence)
and allow their customization.  Maybe a new variable is sufficient
that will inhibit checking that the last character exists in repeat-map.

But what to do if the user wants to disable C-/ --- u u u,
but still wants to use for gdb-step such sequence
C-x C-a C-n --- n n n n where repeat-map has no C-n?

* Re: Repeat undo-only is not working
@ 2021-08-24 16:36         ` Jim Porter
From: Jim Porter @ 2021-08-24 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: Ergus, emacs-devel

On 8/23/2021 11:40 PM, Juri Linkov wrote:
>>> Sorry, this part of the feature is still unpolished.
>>> The intention was to disallow repeating of undo with
>>> the key sequence `C-/ u', but allow only with `C-x u u'.
>>> Maybe this was a wrong idea?  Do you think it should be
>>> possible to type `C-/' to initiate the repeating sequence
>>> `C-/ u u u'?
>>
>> For what it's worth, the intention matches my personal expectation. [snip]
>>
>> Perhaps it should be possible to support the behavior in the original post,
>> but I'm happy with how things are now.
>
> So there is a need to distinguish between these cases
>
>    C-/ --- u u u
>    C-x u --- u u
>
> ("---" visually separates the initial and repeating sequence)
> and allow their customization.  Maybe a new variable is sufficient
> that will inhibit checking that the last character exists in repeat-map.
>
> But what to do if the user wants to disable C-/ --- u u u,
> but still wants to use for gdb-step such sequence
> C-x C-a C-n --- n n n n where repeat-map has no C-n?

If there were a flag like `repeat-enable-aggressively' to enable things
like C-/ --- u u u, then would it be possible to let a user who doesn't
want C-/ --- u u u but *does* want C-x C-a C-n --- n n n to set that
flag to nil and then call some function in their .emacs for each "extra"
sequence in the repeat-map they want to enable? Another option would be
to set `repeat-enable-aggressively' to t and then *remove* any repeat
mappings the user doesn't like.

I haven't looked at the implementation, so I'm not sure if either of
those options are feasible, but they'd give users plenty of flexibility
if they really wanted it.

That said, I'd probably be happy with setting
`repeat-enable-aggressively' to nil in my config and not worrying about
overriding any specific cases.

- Jim