* Does child-frame not support alpha frame param?
@ 2020-11-09  8:46 tumashu
From: tumashu @ 2020-11-09  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Hello:

the below code seem to not work, is it child-frame's limit?

    (make-frame
     `((parent-frame . ,(window-frame))
       (fullscreen . nil)
       (alpha . 20)))

* Re: Does child-frame not support alpha frame param?
@ 2020-11-09  9:10 ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2020-11-09  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tumashu, emacs-devel@gnu.org

 > the below code seem to not work, is it child-frame's limit?
 >

 >      (make-frame
 >       `((parent-frame . ,(window-frame))
 >         (fullscreen . nil)
 >         (alpha . 20)))

It's a limitation of the window manager.  For example, it doesn't work
with Debian stable's xfwm4 here and it doesn't work with Windows XP
either.  That's the main reason why I don't show eldoc info with child
frames but use classic tooltip frames instead.  But ISTR that alpha for
child frames works with Windows 10 and there might also exist
compositing window managers for GNU/Linux that can handle it.  So YMMV.

martin

* RE: Does child-frame not support alpha frame param?
@ 2020-11-09 14:52   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2020-11-09 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics, tumashu, emacs-devel

> It's a limitation of the window manager.  For example, it doesn't work
> with Debian stable's xfwm4 here and it doesn't work with Windows XP
> either.  That's the main reason why I don't show eldoc info with child
> frames but use classic tooltip frames instead.  But ISTR that alpha for
> child frames works with Windows 10 and there might also exist
> compositing window managers for GNU/Linux that can handle it.  So YMMV.

Dunno how important this info is, or whether this
is already done.  But if it's not yet done, could
such info be added to some doc somewhere?  (Thanks
for considering it.)

* Re: Does child-frame not support alpha frame param?
@ 2020-11-09 15:05   ` Alan Third
From: Alan Third @ 2020-11-09 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: tumashu, emacs-devel@gnu.org

On Mon, Nov 09, 2020 at 10:10:06AM +0100, martin rudalics wrote:
> But ISTR that alpha for child frames works with Windows 10 and there
> might also exist compositing window managers for GNU/Linux that can
> handle it. So YMMV.

For the record it works on macOS as well.

--
Alan Third

* Re: Does child-frame not support alpha frame param?
@ 2020-11-09 15:10     ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2020-11-09 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: martin rudalics, emacs-devel, tumashu

>> It's a limitation of the window manager.  For example, it doesn't work
>> with Debian stable's xfwm4 here and it doesn't work with Windows XP
>> either.  That's the main reason why I don't show eldoc info with child
>> frames but use classic tooltip frames instead.  But ISTR that alpha for
>> child frames works with Windows 10 and there might also exist
>> compositing window managers for GNU/Linux that can handle it.  So YMMV.
>
> Dunno how important this info is, or whether this
> is already done.  But if it's not yet done, could
> such info be added to some doc somewhere?  (Thanks
> for considering it.)

(info "(elisp) Font and Color Parameters")