* EWW: Render span tags with spaces aroun them?
@ 2020-10-15 17:13 T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2020-10-15 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

As an example, see
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8048/game/1216531/royal-challengers-bangalore-vs-kings-xi-punjab-31st-match-indian-premier-league-2020-21
The HTML is of course horrible as is the practice on  the web, and
this site appears to use empty <comment></comment> tags for some
reason as well. But the user visible breakage is that things get run
together and the easiest fix might be to ensure that span tags when
rendered are surrounded by spaces

--Raman
♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

--Raman
♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

* Re: EWW: Render span tags with spaces aroun them?
@ 2020-10-16  4:52 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-10-16  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> But the user visible breakage is that things get run together and the
> easiest fix might be to ensure that span tags when rendered are
> surrounded by spaces

The <span> rendering shouldn't have any extra spaces -- that's not what
the element was designed for, and will make many texts unreadable.

* Re: EWW: Render span tags with spaces aroun them?
@ 2020-10-16  5:57   ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2020-10-16  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Emacs developers, T.V Raman

I agree. Adding spaces for span elements will change the semantics and
likely affect other rendering in a negative way. For example, sometimes you
may use span to style just part of some text or it could affect layout of
things like icons etc. I note that neither chrome or firefox add spaces and
will just run the text into the previous/next word if there is no space
around the tag.

Having said that, I notice when looking at the example page you posted,
there is no text running into previous/next text around span tags. This
makes me think that the page is using a CSS style to style the element
which is not honoured by eww/shr? I had a quick look, but it really is a
very ugly piece of HTML.  At any rate, perhaps the issue is not that span
elements should have spaces added, but that eww/shr is not able to add the
CSS style which adds the spacing to the span content?

--
regards,

Tim

--
Tim Cross

* Re: EWW: Render span tags with spaces aroun them?
@ 2020-10-16  6:25     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-10-16  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: Emacs developers, T.V Raman

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> At any rate, perhaps the issue is not that span elements should have
> spaces added, but that eww/shr is not able to add the CSS style which
> adds the spacing to the span content?

Yes.  And shr doesn't use css.  (Well, almost not.)

* Re: EWW: Render span tags with spaces aroun them?
@ 2020-10-16 14:45     ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2020-10-16 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: theophilusx; +Cc: larsi, raman, emacs-devel

Thanks for looking Tim, hopefully you speak enough cricket to spot the
bug.

Cricinfo shows live scores during IPL games, when games are live,
player names are running into the player's runs scored. In the markup,
there an empty <comment></comment> element that may well be getting

--
♉Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮♉

--
♉Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮♉