* Proposal to let Emacs to properly capture $PATH on macOS .
@ 2020-05-21  7:21 slb zetrov
From: slb zetrov @ 2020-05-21  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

* Re: Proposal to let Emacs to properly capture $PATH on macOS .
@ 2020-05-21 13:41 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-05-21 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: slb zetrov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> The current solution for Emacs users is to install a completely avoidable and unnecessary package
> (exec-path-from-shell) https://github.com/purcell/exec-path-from-shell/

Side note: this same problem also affects Emacs launched from the
desktop environment on GNU/Linux, and an approach like
`exec-path-from-shell` can also be used to work around the problem.

* Re: Proposal to let Emacs to properly capture $PATH on macOS .
@ 2020-05-22  3:11 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2020-05-22  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: slb zetrov; +Cc: emacs-devel

There is legitimate support for Emacs on MacOS, so you're welcome to report
problems and support fixes in that case.

The one thing you should not do is advocate implementing any Emacs
feature for MacOS (or Windows) if Emacs doesn't have an equivalent
feature on GNU/Linux.  Our motto is, "It runs best on GNU/Linux",
and we have to make sure that is true.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Proposal to let Emacs to properly capture $PATH on macOS .
@ 2020-05-22  8:20 ` Vasilij Schneidermann
From: Vasilij Schneidermann @ 2020-05-22  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: slb zetrov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> The current solution for Emacs users is to install a completely
> avoidable and unnecessary package (exec-path-from-shell)
> https://github.com/purcell/exec-path-from-shell/

The parsenv package [1] provides a simpler approach to solve this problem,
instead of launching a process from the user's shell or parsing their shell
configuration files, programs parse a so-called dotenv file which just contains
environment variable mappings.  This is done by a multitude of software
already, mostly to simplify deployment tasks where configuration is commonly
performed via environment variables.

Vasilij

[1]: https://github.com/articuluxe/parsenv

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Proposal to let Emacs to properly capture $PATH on macOS .
@ 2020-05-22 20:35   ` Alan Third
From: Alan Third @ 2020-05-22 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vasilij Schneidermann, slb zetrov, emacs-devel

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 10:20:12AM +0200, Vasilij Schneidermann wrote:
> > The current solution for Emacs users is to install a completely
> > avoidable and unnecessary package (exec-path-from-shell)
> > https://github.com/purcell/exec-path-from-shell/
>
> The parsenv package [1] provides a simpler approach to solve this problem,
> instead of launching a process from the user's shell or parsing their shell
> configuration files, programs parse a so-called dotenv file which just contains
> environment variable mappings.  This is done by a multitude of software
> already, mostly to simplify deployment tasks where configuration is commonly
> performed via environment variables.

macOS already provides a similar set up, but it's barely configurable.
For example:

breton:/Users/alan>/usr/libexec/path_helper
PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/X11/bin:/Users/alan/.local/bin";
export PATH;

It builds the path from /etc/paths and the files in /etc/paths.d, and
anything else that's already in the environment.

It insists on setting its own order, though. It's a massive pain, but
that's how all the shells on macOS build their initial $PATH.
--
Alan Third