* GNUstep display problem
@ 2019-09-22 16:04 Alan Third
From: Alan Third @ 2019-09-22 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Alexander Gramiak

Hi, there’s a problem with how GNUstep builds are displaying text.
It’s not displaying all the characters, and is mostly just displaying
characters that come after a space. I traced it to this commit:

    a4fe9c70af7a60117480d3361541550341da801a
    Replace XChar2b with unsigned in all font backends

however I can’t see what in that commit is affecting GNUstep
specifically. I can’t replicate it on macOS and I tried undoing the
changes in nsfont.m and nsgui.h, but it made no difference.

--
Alan Third

[-- Attachment #2: gnustep.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 31421 bytes --]

* Re: GNUstep display problem
@ 2019-09-23  8:30 ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2019-09-23  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Third, emacs-devel; +Cc: Alexander Gramiak

 > Hi, there’s a problem with how GNUstep builds are displaying text.
 > It’s not displaying all the characters, and is mostly just displaying
 > characters that come after a space. I traced it to this commit:
 >
 >      a4fe9c70af7a60117480d3361541550341da801a
 >      Replace XChar2b with unsigned in all font backends
 >
 > however I can’t see what in that commit is affecting GNUstep
 > specifically. I can’t replicate it on macOS and I tried undoing the
 > changes in nsfont.m and nsgui.h, but it made no difference.

When in nsfont.m I replace

    unsigned short *t = s->char2b;

with

    unsigned *t = s->char2b;

it seems to work normally.

martin

* Re: GNUstep display problem
@ 2019-09-23 18:30   ` Alan Third
From: Alan Third @ 2019-09-23 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: Alexander Gramiak, emacs-devel

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 10:30:31AM +0200, martin rudalics wrote:
> > Hi, there’s a problem with how GNUstep builds are displaying text.
> > It’s not displaying all the characters, and is mostly just displaying
> > characters that come after a space. I traced it to this commit:
> >
> >      a4fe9c70af7a60117480d3361541550341da801a
> >      Replace XChar2b with unsigned in all font backends
> >
> > however I can’t see what in that commit is affecting GNUstep
> > specifically. I can’t replicate it on macOS and I tried undoing the
> > changes in nsfont.m and nsgui.h, but it made no difference.
>
> When in nsfont.m I replace
>
>    unsigned short *t = s->char2b;
>
> with
>
>    unsigned *t = s->char2b;
>
> it seems to work normally.

It looks like that’s the fix. I don’t see anything else that needs
changed, so I’ve pushed the change.

Thanks!
--
Alan Third