* need help
@ 2015-05-02 17:30 =?gb18030?B?xMTM7LXEze235w==?=
From: =?gb18030?B?xMTM7LXEze235w==?= @ 2015-05-02 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: =?gb18030?B?ZW1hY3MtZGV2ZWw=?=

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="gb18030", Size: 569 bytes --]

Hi,
    I don not know where to ask my questions.
So please regret me for asking some easy questions, which I really do not know.

In emacs source code:
1. Where is the definition of DEFSYM, I can not find it in lisp.h now.
2. Where is the definition of the struct emacs_globals, I can not find it in all the source .c .h files
    in emacs-master source code which I get from github.
3. Can you give me some advice for reading the emacs source code ?

Can anyone help me, a newbie emacser. Sorry for disturbing  you and thanks a lot!

BR,
 Miracle

* Re: need help
@ 2015-05-02 17:44 ` Zack Piper
From: Zack Piper @ 2015-05-02 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Sun, May 03, 2015 at 01:30:19AM +0800, 哪天的晚风 wrote:
>     I don not know where to ask my questions.
> So please regret me for asking some easy questions, which I really do not know.

Don't worry, asking questions is how you learn. :)

> In emacs source code:
> 1. Where is the definition of DEFSYM, I can not find it in lisp.h now.

`M-x describe-function RET defsym RET` tells me it doesn't exist at
all for me, so probably not at all for anyone.

> 2. Where is the definition of the struct emacs_globals, I can not find it in all the source .c .h files
>     in emacs-master source code which I get from github.

`emacs_globals` is mentioned at:

- line 116 of src/alloc.c
- line 3, and 1009 of src/globals.h

> 3. Can you give me some advice for reading the emacs source code ?

Well, learning C and LISP is a good start, and learning to use `grep`
(I assume you're on Linux or a platform like it) is great for finding things.

--
Zack Piper <zack@apertron.net> http://apertron.net

* Re: need help
@ 2015-05-02 18:30 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2015-05-02 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

"哪天的晚风" <875776209@qq.com> writes:

> Hi, I don not know where to ask my questions. So please regret me for
> asking some easy questions, which I really do not know.

This is the right place for this type of questions.

> In emacs source code:
> 1. Where is the definition of DEFSYM, I can not find it in lisp.h now.

From my checkout of `master' branch:

src/lisp.h:1796:9:#define DEFSYM(sym, name) /* empty */

> 3. Can you give me some advice for reading the emacs source code ?

There is a lot of difference among the C part and the Lisp part. Even on
the C part there are areas of varying difficulty (the redisplay engine
is famous for its complexity.) IMHO best thing to do is to start by
becoming proficient with Emacs Lisp (use the Emacs Lisp info pages) and
then focus on a specific set of features and start fixing bugs on it.

> Can anyone help me, a newbie emacser. Sorry for disturbing you and
> thanks a lot!

Welcome aboard.

* Re: need help
@ 2015-05-02 18:42 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-05-02 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: =?gb18030?B?xMTM7LXEze235w==?=; +Cc: emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb18030, Size: 382 bytes --]

> From: "ÄÄÌìµÄÍí·ç" <875776209@qq.com>
> Date: Sun, 3 May 2015 01:30:19 +0800
>
> 1. Where is the definition of DEFSYM, I can not find it in lisp.h now.

src/lisp.h, line 1796.

> 2. Where is the definition of the struct emacs_globals, I can not find it in
> all the source .c .h files in emacs-master source code which I get from github.

src/globals.h, line 3.

* Re: need help
@ 2015-05-02 20:36   ` Zack Piper
From: Zack Piper @ 2015-05-02 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> > 1. Where is the definition of DEFSYM, I can not find it in lisp.h now.
>
> src/lisp.h, line 1796.

*Wonders why DEFSYM is appearing when I rerun what I ran earlier* O.o

--
Zack Piper <zack@apertron.net> http://apertron.net