* Attempt tp push the new repo
@ 2014-11-11 23:09 Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2014-11-11 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Bob Proulx

Attempting to push the new repo failed.

sr@snark:/home3/esr/emacs-conversion/emacs-git$ git push
To esr@git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs.git
 ! [rejected]        master -> master (fetch first)
error: failed to push some refs to 'esr@git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs.git'
hint: Updates were rejected because the remote contains work that you do
hint: not have locally. This is usually caused by another repository pushing
hint: to the same ref. You may want to first integrate the remote changes
hint: (e.g., 'git pull ...') before pushing again.
hint: See the 'Note about fast-forwards' in 'git push --help' for details.

Bob Proulx, you said on 15 Jan you could cleear the old repo out of the way.
Would you do that, please?

The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can
bribe the people with their own money.
	-- Alexis de Tocqueville

* Re: Attempt tp push the new repo
@ 2014-11-12  7:39 ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2014-11-12  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S. Raymond; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Bob Proulx, you said on 15 Jan you could cleear the old repo out of the way.
> Would you do that, please?

Yes I can do it.  Since you are now requesting it I have done it.
Done.  The emacs git repository has been emptied.  Let me know if
there is any problem.

I can also set up email commit notifications too.  I will hold off
doing that until the repository has been initialized.  It wouldn't be
good to have the entire history sent as email upon upload.

I am sure there will be other tweaks needed too.  Please continue to
CC me since I am not reading the mailing list.

Bob

* Re: Attempt tp push the new repo
@ 2014-11-12 11:53   ` Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2014-11-12 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>:
> Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > Bob Proulx, you said on 15 Jan you could cleear the old repo out of the way.
> > Would you do that, please?
>
> Yes I can do it.  Since you are now requesting it I have done it.
> Done.  The emacs git repository has been emptied.  Let me know if
> there is any problem.
>
> I can also set up email commit notifications too.  I will hold off
> doing that until the repository has been initialized.  It wouldn't be
> good to have the entire history sent as email upon upload.
>
> I am sure there will be other tweaks needed too.  Please continue to
> CC me since I am not reading the mailing list.
>
> Bob

Repository push is happening now. Thanks for clearing the obstacle.

I will send mail to you and the dev list when the push is done and I
have re-cloned to verify it.

At that time we will also need this cookie droppoed in the repo config:

[receive]
	denynonfastforwards = true

* Re: Attempt tp push the new repo
@ 2014-11-12 14:32     ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2014-11-12 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S. Raymond; +Cc: Bob Proulx, emacs-devel

Hi Eric,

You seem to have forgotten to CC Bob as he asked.

@ 2014-11-13 13:05   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2014-11-13 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Proulx; +Cc: emacs-devel

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> I can also set up email commit notifications too.  I will hold off
> doing that until the repository has been initialized.  It wouldn't be
> good to have the entire history sent as email upon upload.

It looks like there were no email notifications from the last couple of
commits, so perhaps this hasn't been switched on yet?

* Re: Attempt tp push the new repo
@ 2014-11-13 16:40     ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2014-11-13 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Bob Proulx writes:
> > I can also set up email commit notifications too.  I will hold off
> > doing that until the repository has been initialized.  It wouldn't be
> > good to have the entire history sent as email upon upload.
>
> It looks like there were no email notifications from the last couple of
> commits, so perhaps this hasn't been switched on yet?

Have you guys been talking on the mailing list but forgetting to CC me
on things you want me to do for you? :-)

I was still waiting for the repository to be uploaded to again.
Otherwise every commit in the history would be seen as new and would
email the result out to the mailing list.  That wouldn't be good.

Therefore I was waiting for someone to tell me that the large uploads
were finished before turning on commit notifications.  And I see in
another message that the initial uploads might not be done yet.  So I
will keep waiting.

Bob

* Re: Attempt tp push the new repo
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2014-11-13 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Proulx; +Cc: emacs-devel

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> Therefore I was waiting for someone to tell me that the large uploads
> were finished before turning on commit notifications.  And I see in
> another message that the initial uploads might not be done yet.  So I
> will keep waiting.

If I understand correctly, if we decide to do another Big Conversion Day
(and I think we shouldn't), it won't be any time soon.  In the mean
time, commit messages should be turned off for the changes that are
committed now.

* Re: Attempt tp push the new repo
@ 2014-11-13 17:28         ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2014-11-13 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> If I understand correctly, if we decide to do another Big Conversion Day
> (and I think we shouldn't), it won't be any time soon.

I will let you guys discuss what you want to do and come to a
decision.  I am happy to help with anything you decide upon.

> In the mean time, commit messages should be turned off for the
> changes that are committed now.

They are currently off at this time.  Changes committed now won't have
a notification.  That is the default for new repositories.  Let me
know when you want them enabled and I will add the commit notification
hooks.

Bob

* Re: Attempt tp push the new repo
@ 2014-11-13 17:38       ` Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2014-11-13 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Proulx, emacs-devel

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>:
> Therefore I was waiting for someone to tell me that the large uploads
> were finished before turning on commit notifications.  And I see in
> another message that the initial uploads might not be done yet.  So I
> will keep waiting.

It's all done,  You can enable email commits.

* Re: Attempt tp push the new repo
@ 2014-11-13 21:52         ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2014-11-13 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>:
> > Therefore I was waiting for someone to tell me that the large uploads
> > were finished before turning on commit notifications.  And I see in
> > another message that the initial uploads might not be done yet.  So I
> > will keep waiting.
>
> It's all done,  You can enable email commits.

Done!  (Multiple messages read perhaps out of order.)  It is set up
and configured now.  You will start seeing them upon the next commit.

Bob

* Re: Attempt tp push the new repo
@ 2014-11-13 22:01           ` Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2014-11-13 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Proulx, emacs-devel

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>:
> Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>:
> > > Therefore I was waiting for someone to tell me that the large uploads
> > > were finished before turning on commit notifications.  And I see in
> > > another message that the initial uploads might not be done yet.  So I
> > > will keep waiting.
> >
> > It's all done,  You can enable email commits.
>
> Done!  (Multiple messages read perhaps out of order.)  It is set up
> and configured now.  You will start seeing them upon the next commit.
>
> Bob

Thanks.