* How does one undo (even temporarily) an defvaralias, giving two distinct variables?
@ 2013-03-12 15:55 Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2013-03-12 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello, Emacs!

In the CC Mode testing suite, it is necessary that the two variables
`font-lock-reference-face' and `font-lock-constant-face' be distinct.

These variables were made aliases in Emacs 24.  I need to separated them
out again.

How does one undo defvaralias and friends?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: How does one undo (even temporarily) an defvaralias, giving two distinct variables?
@ 2013-03-12 19:09 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-03-12 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Alan Mackenzie writes:
> How does one undo defvaralias and friends?

If nothing else works, makunbound should get rid of those symbols so you
can redefine them.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: How does one undo (even temporarily) an defvaralias, giving two distinct variables?
@ 2013-03-14 14:31   ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2013-03-14 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi, Achim.

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 08:09:51PM +0100, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie writes:
> > How does one undo defvaralias and friends?

> If nothing else works, makunbound should get rid of those symbols so you
> can redefine them.

makunbound sets the target of the alias unbound, but leaves the alias in
place.

I don't think it's possible to unalias a symbol.

The workaround I've come up with is (defvaralias face (gensym)), which
although it leaves `face' as an alias, at least it points to a different
target.

--

@ 2013-03-14 15:10     ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2013-03-14 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

> I don't think it's possible to unalias a symbol.

Probably you could `unintern' it ?

--
Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:

* Re: How does one undo (even temporarily) an defvaralias, giving two distinct variables?
@ 2013-03-14 15:54       ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2013-03-14 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: emacs-devel

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

> Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:
>
>> I don't think it's possible to unalias a symbol.
>
> Probably you could `unintern' it ?

That will break every reference to the symbol.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: How does one undo (even temporarily) an defvaralias, giving two distinct variables?
@ 2013-03-14 16:36     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-03-14 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: Achim Gratz, emacs-devel

> The workaround I've come up with is (defvaralias face (gensym)), which
> although it leaves `face' as an alias, at least it points to a different
> target.

BTW don't count on this workaround too much.  If it works, it's purely
by accident and might get "fixed" at any time.

* Re: How does one undo (even temporarily) an defvaralias, giving two distinct variables?
@ 2013-03-14 16:52       ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2013-03-14 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Achim Gratz, emacs-devel

Hi, Stefan,

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 12:36:37PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > The workaround I've come up with is (defvaralias face (gensym)), which
> > although it leaves `face' as an alias, at least it points to a different
> > target.

> BTW don't count on this workaround too much.  If it works, it's purely
> by accident and might get "fixed" at any time.

Sorry, but what might get "fixed"?  What is there about that lisp form
which is, strictly speaking, invalid?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).