* inhibit-startup-message
@ 2006-01-21  0:19 Alfred M. Szmidt
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2006-01-21  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

When starting emacs with a .emacs that contains `(diary)', the diary
entry gets quickly discared by `startup-echo-area-message'.  Setting
`inhibit-startup-message' doesn't do the trick either (it seems to do
nothing at all, don't even see anything in the *Messages* buffer).

Anyone know what is going on?

* Re: inhibit-startup-message
@ 2006-01-21 15:39 ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2006-01-21 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Alfred Szmidt wrote:

   When starting emacs with a .emacs that contains `(diary)', the diary
   entry gets quickly discared by `startup-echo-area-message'.

I can not reproduce this with a .emacs containing only:

(blink-cursor-mode 0)
(diary)

Today's diary entry gets shown in a pop-up window.  So either this has
been fixed in the meantime, or some other customization you made
causes this.

   Setting `inhibit-startup-message' doesn't do the trick either (it
   seems to do nothing at all, don't even see anything in the
   *Messages* buffer).

It should not really have anything to do with the problem, but if you
want to get rid of startup-echo-area-message, should you not set
`inhibit-startup-echo-area-message' instead of `inhibit-startup-message'?

Sincerely,

Luc.

* Re: inhibit-startup-message
@ 2006-01-21 15:52   ` Alfred M. Szmidt
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2006-01-21 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

   I can not reproduce this with a .emacs containing only:

   (blink-cursor-mode 0)
   (diary)

   Today's diary entry gets shown in a pop-up window.  So either this
   has been fixed in the meantime, or some other customization you
   made causes this.

Doesn't work for me, my *Messages* buffer contains:

No diary entries for Saturday, 21 January 2006
For information about the GNU project and its goals, type C-h C-p.

It works if you actually have a diary entry though.

FYI, tried this all with not customizations.

   It should not really have anything to do with the problem, but if
   you want to get rid of startup-echo-area-message, should you not
   set `inhibit-startup-echo-area-message' instead of
   `inhibit-startup-message'?

I meant really meant `inhibit-startup-echo-area-message', sorry.
Setting it to nil still showed the default blurb.

* Re: inhibit-startup-message
@ 2006-01-21 16:04     ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2006-01-21 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

   Doesn't work for me, my *Messages* buffer contains:

   No diary entries for Saturday, 21 January 2006
   For information about the GNU project and its goals, type C-h C-p.

   It works if you actually have a diary entry though.

Actually the same happens for me, if
`inhibit-startup-echo-area-message' is nil.  (I _had_ a diary entry.)
But once I set `inhibit-startup-echo-area-message' _to my user name_
(another value will not work) the message:

   No diary entries for Saturday, 21 January 2006

appears in the echo area at startup.

Sincerely,

Luc.