* Emacs w32 FAQ links updation
@ 2006-01-12  9:43 Ramprasad B
From: Ramprasad B @ 2006-01-12  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I have attached a "gnu_faq_links.zip" file which contains the links which are
outdated. The text file contains list of links seggregated according to the sections
in the Emacs w32 FAQ.
So, can you guys please get back to me with correct updated links of the
corresponding outdated links.
The new links can be updated to the FAQ site.

Thanks & Regards,
--Ramprasad B

http://mail.yahoo.com

[-- Attachment #2: 998918393-gnu_faq_links.zip --]
[-- Type: application/x-zip-compressed, Size: 3060 bytes --]

* Emacs w32 FAQ links updation
@ 2006-01-12 14:02 Ramprasad B
From: Ramprasad B @ 2006-01-12 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I have attached a "gnu_faq_links.zip" file which contains the links which are
outdated. The text file contains list of links seggregated according to the sections
in the Emacs w32 FAQ.
So, can you guys please get back to me with correct updated links of the
corresponding outdated links.
The new links can be updated to the FAQ site.

Thanks & Regards,
--Ramprasad B

---------------------------------

[-- Attachment #2: pat1321102230 --]
[-- Type: application/x-zip-compressed, Size: 3060 bytes --]

* Re: Emacs w32 FAQ links updation
@ 2006-01-12 15:56 ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2006-01-12 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, emacs-devel

Ramprasad B <ramprasad_i82@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I have attached a "gnu_faq_links.zip" file which contains the links which are
> outdated.

Hi Ramprasad,

Please, on this list, always just include the actual text (or diff or
backtrace or whatever) rather than attaching zip files or other messy
stuff that we need to decode to read.

* Re: Emacs w32 FAQ links updation
@ 2006-01-13  3:30   ` Ramprasad B
From: Ramprasad B @ 2006-01-13  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, emacs-devel

-- "Kim F. Storm" <storm@cua.dk> wrote:

> Please, on this list, always just include the actual text (or diff or backtrace or
whatever) rather than attaching zip files or other messy stuff that we need to
decode to read.

Sorry for that.
Otherwise i had no other go to put up the information.
If i had to publish in the mail as inline text, then it would mess-up things as it
is a long list.

Thanks and Regards,
--Ramprasad B

http://mail.yahoo.com

* Re: Emacs w32 FAQ links updation
@ 2006-01-14  9:25     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-01-14  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

[I've removed help-gnu-emacs from the CC list, since I think this
discussion, as a whole, does not belong there.]

> Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 19:30:05 -0800 (PST)
> From: Ramprasad B <ramprasad_i82@yahoo.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> -- "Kim F. Storm" <storm@cua.dk> wrote:
>

> > Please, on this list, always just include the actual text (or diff
> > or backtrace or whatever) rather than attaching zip files or other
> > messy stuff that we need to decode to read.
>
> Sorry for that.
> Otherwise i had no other go to put up the information.
> If i had to publish in the mail as inline text, then it would
> mess-up things as it is a long list.

Don't worry so much about the length of the text: 10K is not long, by
our standards.  We always prefer inline text to binary attachments,
unless you have more than 100K, say.

As for the original request, wiz.:

> So, can you guys please get back to me with correct updated links of the
> corresponding outdated links.

I don't think this is the right approach for updating the Emacs
MS-Windows FAQ.  Most of the stuff there is _extremely_ outdated, and
needs simply to be either removed or reworked from scratch.  In
particular, many items have been long since fixed in Emacs itself,
either by fixing bugs or by adding features which the FAQ suggests to
look for outside the official distribution.

Therefore, asking people to look for up-to-date URLs would be largely
a waste of time, as most of those URLs are not needed anyway.

So I suggest to start by going through the FAQ and updating/removing
the solutions it discusses.  Then, after you know what problems still
need external solutions, come back here and ask people to provide URLs
for those solutions.

Having said that, if you discover that you need a pointer to the DJGPP
(a.k.a. MS-DOS) port of Emacs, the correct URLs are these:

    . MSDOS and Windows 3.11 (will also run on Windows 9x/2K/XP):

       a. ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2gnu/emacs.README
       b. ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2gnu/emacs19.README
       c. ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2misc/csdpmi5b.zip

      (The README files include detailed instructions about the files
      that are parts of the package, who needs what files, and how and
      where to download them.)