* alternativnyj encoding
@ 2005-12-12  8:43 Werner LEMBERG
From: Werner LEMBERG @ 2005-12-12  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bruno

Maybe the wrong list, but: Am I right that the Alternativnyj encoding
can handled neither by GNU iconv nor by libiconv?  As it is
implemented currently in Emacs, it follows

  http://www.cyrillic.com/ref/cyrillic/koi-8alt.html

which looks quite fine.  According to this page it was (is?) quite
popular in Russia, so I can't believe it's missing...  Is there an
alternative name (note the pun) for it?

    Werner

* Re: alternativnyj encoding
@ 2005-12-12 13:23 ` Bruno Haible
From: Bruno Haible @ 2005-12-12 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Werner LEMBERG asked:
> Maybe the wrong list, but: Am I right that the Alternativnyj encoding
> can handled neither by GNU iconv nor by libiconv?

This is correct. Furthermore, this encoding is not one of the widespread
encodings listed under "Cyrillic" or "RFC 1345" in
   http://www.haible.de/bruno/charsets/conversion-tables/index.html

> Is there an alternative name (note the pun) for it?

No, there isn't. I checked the tables. Probably most texts in this encoding
never used the accents and therefore specifying CP866 instead of
Alternativnyj worked fine for everyone.

> According to this page it was (is?) quite
> popular in Russia, so I can't believe it's missing...

The most-used encodings in Russia already for several years are
KOI8-R and UTF-8. KOI8-R has overshadowed ISO-8859-5 and CP866, so my
guess is that also the Alternativnyj users have migrated to KOI8-R.

Bruno