* bootstrap-emacs fails with glibc-2.3.5
@ 2005-05-14 17:54 Sascha Wilde
From: Sascha Wilde @ 2005-05-14 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi *,

some of the the latest changes made bootstrap-emacs fail with new
glibc versions.  (I use a cvs version, but I'd guess that some new
GNU/Linux distributions, like Fedora Core 3 will be affected, too.)

When bootstrap-emacs gets called it is killed by the libc with:
`*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption: 0x0... ***'

This "feature" can be disables by setting MALLOC_CHECK_=0 in the
environement -- see:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/os/RELEASE-NOTES-en.html#id850584
so emacs still can be bootstraped.

Unfortunately (but not surprisingly) all of the above is also true for
the resulting emacs binary.

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde
- no sig today... sorry!

* Re: bootstrap-emacs fails with glibc-2.3.5
@ 2005-05-15 15:45 ` Sascha Wilde
From: Sascha Wilde @ 2005-05-15 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, May 14, 2005 at 07:54:51PM +0200, Sascha Wilde wrote:

> some of the the latest changes made bootstrap-emacs fail with new
> glibc versions.  (I use a cvs version, but I'd guess that some new
> GNU/Linux distributions, like Fedora Core 3 will be affected, too.)
>
> When bootstrap-emacs gets called it is killed by the libc with:
> `*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption: 0x0... ***'

Correction: the actual error message is:
*** glibc detected *** emacs: corrupted double-linked list: 0x0852c080 ***

Anyway: I just tried to get back some days in cvs to find the exact
change responsible for this problem but now the older source tree
shows the same problem here -- that is very strange for I have
bootstraped emacs without problems on Mai 14 and I haven't changed any
related part of the system since than[0].

At the moment I have absolute no idea what's happening here...  Any
hints (or confirmation of the problem) would be highly appreciated.

cheers
sascha

[0] at least I'm pretty sure I didn't...  :-/
--
Sascha Wilde : "Do not dangle the mouse by its cable
             : or throw the mouse at co-workers"

* Re: bootstrap-emacs fails with glibc-2.3.5
@ 2005-05-23 11:21   ` Sascha Wilde
From: Sascha Wilde @ 2005-05-23 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, May 15, 2005 at 05:45:28PM +0200, Sascha Wilde wrote:

> *** glibc detected *** emacs: corrupted double-linked list: 0x0852c080 ***
>
> Anyway: I just tried to get back some days in cvs to find the exact
> change responsible for this problem but now the older source tree
> shows the same problem here -- that is very strange for I have
> bootstraped emacs without problems on Mai 14 and I haven't changed any
> related part of the system since than[0].

ok, it seems something (most likely the binutils, latest cvs) was
broken in my build toolchain -- after updating everything is fine
again.  Still funny, that the problem it my with some days delay...
Anyway, sorry for the noise.

cheers
sascha