* hack-local-variables
@ 2005-05-07 22:32 Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2005-05-07 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

The behavior of `hack-local-variables' has recently been changed.
(hack-local-variables t) used to check, until recently, whether a mode
was specified in the -*- line.  In current CVS, it checks whether a
mode is specified in the -*- line _or_ in the local variables list.
This incompatible change was made without updating the Elisp manual or
mention in the NEWS.  The patch below updates the Elisp manual.  I can
install if desired.

Since this is an incompatible change, should it also be mentioned in
the NEWS?

===File ~/variables.texi-diff===============================
*** variables.texi	04 May 2005 09:37:03 -0500	1.60
--- variables.texi	07 May 2005 15:14:15 -0500
***************
*** 1804,1813 ****
  @code{enable-local-variables} into account.

  If the optional argument @var{mode-only} is non-@code{nil}, then all
! this function does is return @code{t} if the @w{@samp{-*-}} line
! specifies a mode and @code{nil} otherwise.  It does not set the mode
! nor any other file local variable.  It does not check whether a mode
! is specified in the local variables list at the end of the file.
  @end defun

    If a file local variable list could specify a function that would
--- 1804,1812 ----

! this function does is return @code{t} if the @w{@samp{-*-}} line or
! the local variables list specifies a mode and @code{nil} otherwise.
! It does not set the mode nor any other file local variable.
  @end defun

    If a file local variable list could specify a function that would

* Re: hack-local-variables
@ 2005-05-08 22:45 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2005-05-08 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    The behavior of `hack-local-variables' has recently been changed.

I don't see any recent change.  What change do you mean?

      The patch below updates the Elisp manual.  I can
    install if desired.

Please do.

    Since this is an incompatible change, should it also be mentioned in
    the NEWS?

I think mentioning such minor details would only add clutter; it would
get in the way of reading the changes people want to know about.
So please don't.

* Re: hack-local-variables
@ 2005-05-09  2:36   ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2005-05-09  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:

       The behavior of `hack-local-variables' has recently been changed.

   I don't see any recent change.  What change do you mean?

Somehow it seems non-trivial to figure out what caused the change.
The change does not appear to be mentioned in the ChangeLogs.

But (hack-local-variables-t) not only did not check the local
variables list for a mode in 21.3, it also did not when I checked
lispref/variables.  I somehow forgot that this was in November 2003.
So the change may not have been that recent after all (but definitely
new in 22.1 and post November 2003).

Sincerely,

Luc.