* Emacs from cvs & non-ascii characters
@ 2005-03-25 16:10 Ismail Donmez
From: Ismail Donmez @ 2005-03-25 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Lately emacs from cvs started to behave very weird. I used to enter non-ascii
characters just fine but lately when I enter euro character "€" it shows up
"?" in emacs and entering non-ascii characters like "ö,ğ,ş" results in
nothing : no character shows up.

Anyone experience something similar to this? Any workarounds?

I attach my ~/.emacs just in case and I use latest emacs from cvs.

Regards,
ismail

[-- Attachment #2: .emacs --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 940 bytes --]

(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 '(auto-compression-mode t nil (jka-compr))
 '(cua-mode nil)
 '(current-language-environment "UTF-8")
 '(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-core))
 '(scroll-bar-mode (quote right))
 '(show-paren-mode t nil (paren))
 '(transient-mark-mode t))
'(auto-compression-mode t nil (jka-compr))
'(cua-mode t nil (cua-base))
'(scroll-bar-mode (quote right))
'(show-paren-mode t nil (paren))
(setq inhibit-startup-message t)
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 )
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp")

* Re: Emacs from cvs & non-ascii characters
@ 2005-03-25 16:14 ` Ismail Donmez
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ismail Donmez @ 2005-03-25 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday 25 March 2005 18:10, Ismail Donmez wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Lately emacs from cvs started to behave very weird. I used to enter
> non-ascii characters just fine but lately when I enter euro character "€"
> it shows up "?" in emacs and entering non-ascii characters like "ö,ğ,ş"
> results in nothing : no character shows up.
>
> Anyone experience something similar to this? Any workarounds?
>
> I attach my ~/.emacs just in case and I use latest emacs from cvs.

Also I should note that emacs is built with --without-x . Gtk+ version works
fine with non-ascii characters. Also I can use non-ascii characters just fine
in other applications like vim.

Regards,
ismail

* Re: Emacs from cvs & non-ascii characters
@ 2005-03-25 17:17 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-03-25 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Lately emacs from cvs started to behave very weird. I used to enter non-ascii
> characters just fine but lately when I enter euro character "€" it shows up
> "?" in emacs and entering non-ascii characters like "ö,ğ,ş" results in
> nothing : no character shows up.

When is "lately"?
Under which terminal emulator are you working?  xterm?
How do you enter those chars?
Have you changed something else during the same time-frame?
What is the value of keyboard-coding-system?
What does M-: (terminal-coding-system) RET return?

* Re: Emacs from cvs & non-ascii characters
@ 2005-03-25 17:26   ` Ismail Donmez
From: Ismail Donmez @ 2005-03-25 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Friday 25 March 2005 19:17, you wrote:
> When is "lately"?
I did cvs up -D"2 weeks ago"
and problem still exists. Some weird thing is going on here.

My system is Ubuntu Linux Hoary version

> Under which terminal emulator are you working?  xterm?
xterm & konsole

> How do you enter those chars?

Directly from keyboard

> Have you changed something else during the same time-frame?

Usual apt-get update and nothing else. What might effect emacs in this manner?

> What is the value of keyboard-coding-system?
keyboard-coding-system's value is utf-8

> What does M-: (terminal-coding-system) RET return?
iso-latin-5

Regards,
ismail

* Re: Emacs from cvs & non-ascii characters
@ 2005-03-25 17:36 ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2005-03-25 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:10:31 +0200 Ismail Donmez wrote:

> Lately emacs from cvs started to behave very weird. I used to
> enter non-ascii characters just fine but lately when I enter
> euro character "€" it shows up "?" in emacs and entering
> non-ascii characters like "ö,ğ,ş" results in nothing : no
> character shows up.
>
> Anyone experience something similar to this? Any workarounds?

Happened to me too in xterm.  Actually i suspect it's the update
from debian woody to sarge (still working fine on sid at home).

M-x set-terminal-coding-system RET utf-8 RET

solved the problem for me.

David

* Re: Emacs from cvs & non-ascii characters
@ 2005-03-25 17:44   ` Ismail Donmez
From: Ismail Donmez @ 2005-03-25 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday 25 March 2005 19:36, David Hansen wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:10:31 +0200 Ismail Donmez wrote:
> > Lately emacs from cvs started to behave very weird. I used to
> > enter non-ascii characters just fine but lately when I enter
> > euro character "€" it shows up "?" in emacs and entering
> > non-ascii characters like "ö,ğ,ş" results in nothing : no
> > character shows up.
> >
> > Anyone experience something similar to this? Any workarounds?
>
> Happened to me too in xterm.  Actually i suspect it's the update
> from debian woody to sarge (still working fine on sid at home).
>
> M-x set-terminal-coding-system RET utf-8 RET

I cleaned my ccache , checkouted clean cvs & recompiled and it all works fine
now. Thanks for the attention guys, appreciated that.

Regards,
ismail

* Re: Emacs from cvs & non-ascii characters
@ 2005-03-25 17:59   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2005-03-25 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Ismail Donmez, emacs-devel

>> Lately emacs from cvs started to behave very weird. I used to enter non-ascii
>> characters just fine but lately when I enter euro character "€" it shows up
>> "?" in emacs and entering non-ascii characters like "ö,ğ,ş" results in
>> nothing : no character shows up.
>
> When is "lately"?
> Under which terminal emulator are you working?  xterm?
> How do you enter those chars?
> Have you changed something else during the same time-frame?
> What is the value of keyboard-coding-system?
> What does M-: (terminal-coding-system) RET return?

I've made a similar experience.  The problem is that Emacs no longer sets
the terminal coding system to mule-utf-8 when running in a UTF-8 locale
(it's set to iso-latin-1 instead).  That must have been introduced in the
last 4 weeks.

Andreas.

* Re: Emacs from cvs & non-ascii characters
@ 2005-03-25 18:14     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-03-25 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Ismail Donmez, emacs-devel

> I've made a similar experience.  The problem is that Emacs no longer sets
> the terminal coding system to mule-utf-8 when running in a UTF-8 locale
> (it's set to iso-latin-1 instead).  That must have been introduced in the
> last 4 weeks.

I believe I've fixed such a bug this morning.  Can you check with the
latest code?

* Re: Emacs from cvs & non-ascii characters
@ 2005-03-25 18:49       ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2005-03-25 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Ismail Donmez, emacs-devel

>> I've made a similar experience.  The problem is that Emacs no longer sets
>> the terminal coding system to mule-utf-8 when running in a UTF-8 locale
>> (it's set to iso-latin-1 instead).  That must have been introduced in the
>> last 4 weeks.
>
> I believe I've fixed such a bug this morning.  Can you check with the
> latest code?

Works again, thanks.

Andreas.

* Re: Emacs from cvs & non-ascii characters
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-03-26  0:24 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2005-03-26  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

In article <200503251810.31535.ismail@kde.org.tr>, Ismail Donmez <ismail@kde.org.tr> writes:

> [1  <text/plain; utf-8 (quoted-printable)>]
> Hi all,

> Lately emacs from cvs started to behave very weird. I used to enter non-ascii
> characters just fine but lately when I enter euro character "€" it shows up
> "?" in emacs and entering non-ascii characters like "ö,ğ,ş" results in
> nothing : no character shows up.

> Anyone experience something similar to this? Any workarounds?

> I attach my ~/.emacs just in case and I use latest emacs from cvs.

Please send a bug report via M-x report-emacs-bug RET.
Then, we can see several lines of information about your
running emacs.  And also please add the result of C-h C RET.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@m17n.org