* C-h
@ 2004-11-02  3:48 Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2004-11-02  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

emacs -q --eval \
"(progn (blink-cursor-mode 0) (setq enable-local-variables 'ask))" &

I do not believe that the `(blink-cursor-mode 0)' has anything to do
with the problem, but it is impossible for me to test without that,
since a blinking cursor causes neurological problems for me.

C-h

Now wait long enough for echoing to occur.

Then type `n'.

I believe that I now should see the message:

Set local variables as specified at end of NEWS? (y or n)

But I do not.

I believe that this is a bug.

Sincerely,

Luc.

* Re: C-h
@ 2004-11-02  4:05 ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2004-11-02  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

>From my previous message:

   emacs -q --eval \
   "(progn (blink-cursor-mode 0) (setq enable-local-variables 'ask))" &

   I do not believe that the `(blink-cursor-mode 0)' has anything to do
   with the problem, but it is impossible for me to test without that,
   since a blinking cursor causes neurological problems for me.

   C-h

   Now wait long enough for echoing to occur.

   Then type `n'.

   I believe that I now should see the message:

   Set local variables as specified at end of NEWS? (y or n)

Actually, no.  I believe that the local variables should in this case
be obeyed automatically, because that is what happens if I do `C-h n'
quickly enough to avoid echoing.

Instead I see:

    Local variables:
    mode: outline
    paragraph-separate: "[	]*$"
    end:

    arch-tag: 1aca9dfa-2ac4-4d14-bebf-0007cee12793

just like if Emacs were waiting for my answer to the question:

   Set local variables as specified at end of NEWS? (y or n)

which I am however not seeing.

But when I type `y', I see the News with all file variables enabled.

I still believe that this confusing behavior is a bug.

Sincerely,

Luc.

* Re: C-h
@ 2004-11-02  4:11   ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2004-11-02  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

>From my previous message:

   Actually, no.  I believe that the local variables should in this case
   be obeyed automatically, because that is what happens if I do `C-h n'
   quickly enough to avoid echoing.

Please ignore the _second_ message I sent.  My _original_ report was
correct.  Emacs should ask me for confirmation, like it _does_ when I
type `C-h n' quickly.  I somehow got confused.  Sorry.

Sincerely,

Luc.