* Tramp docstring
@ 2004-07-12 18:40 Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2004-07-12 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

As I said before, `verify-visited-file-modtime' itself takes care of
the cases where `visited-file-modtime' returns 0 or the buffer is not
visiting a file, so `tramp-handle-verify-visited-file-modtime' does
not need to.  However, this means that
`tramp-handle-verify-visited-file-modtime' can not be called directly,
unless the caller first takes care of those two cases.  That probably
is no problem, but these facts should be at least pointed out as a
comment.  To be sure that people are not tempted to call the function
directly after doing C-h f, I prefer to put it in the docstring.  But
a comment would be OK too.

What about the following new docstring?

  "Like `verify-visited-file-modtime' for tramp files.
At the time this function is called, we already know that the buffer
is visiting a file and that `visited-file-modtime' does not return 0.
Do not call this function directly, unless those two cases are already
taken care of."

Sincerely,

Luc.

* Re: Tramp docstring
@ 2004-07-13  2:33 ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2004-07-13  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: kai, emacs-devel

>From my earlier message:

     "Like `verify-visited-file-modtime' for tramp files.
   At the time this function is called, we already know that the buffer
   is visiting a file and that `visited-file-modtime' does not return 0.
   Do not call this function directly, unless those two cases are already
   taken care of."

Better:

  "Like `verify-visited-file-modtime' for tramp files.
At the time `verify-visited-file-modtime' calls this function,

@ 2004-07-17 21:25   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-07-17 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luc Teirlinck <teirllm@dms.auburn.edu> writes:

>   "Like `verify-visited-file-modtime' for tramp files.
> At the time `verify-visited-file-modtime' calls this function,
> we already know that the buffer is visiting a file and that
> `visited-file-modtime' does not return 0.  Do not call this function
> directly, unless those two cases are already taken care of."

Changed in Tramp CVS and in Emacs CVS.

Kai