* Suggestion to add "M-x ssh" to Emacs.
@ 2004-05-13 14:03 Stephen Eglen
From: Stephen Eglen @ 2004-05-13 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: friedman

Suggestion:

Should Emacs include support for "M-x ssh", just as there is for "M-x
telnet", from telnet.el?  If so, could "ssh.el" (GPL'ed) from Noah
Friedman be incorporated into Emacs?
ftp://ftp.splode.com/pub/users/friedman/emacs-lisp/ssh.el

thanks,
Stephen

* Re: Suggestion to add "M-x ssh" to Emacs.
@ 2004-05-13 14:34 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-05-13 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: friedman, emacs-devel

> Should Emacs include support for "M-x ssh", just as there is for "M-x
> telnet", from telnet.el?  If so, could "ssh.el" (GPL'ed) from Noah
> Friedman be incorporated into Emacs?

Hopefully, rsh, rlogin, telnet, and ssh can all be merged into one.

* Re: Suggestion to add "M-x ssh" to Emacs.
@ 2004-05-13 16:38 ` Noah Friedman
From: Noah Friedman @ 2004-05-13 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

I have no objection in principle, but it's been on my todo list to merge
M-x telnet, M-x rlogin, and M-x ssh into a single package since, other than
authentication, they largely provide (or ought to) the same thing things
interface-wise.  I'd also like to make remote directory tracking easier to
use with tramp (right now you can't set the transfer method for individual
connections via user commands).

Perhaps it would be better to do that first and then incorporate the new
package, rather than adding another separate package.