* [fouvry@CoLi.Uni-SB.DE: `=' not as punctuation in sh-mode syntax table]
@ 2004-05-08 22:00 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-05-08 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

What do people think of this idea?

From: Frederik Fouvry <fouvry@CoLi.Uni-SB.DE>
To: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Date: Fri,  7 May 2004 20:08:38 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: `=' not as punctuation in sh-mode syntax table

On the basis of the documentation of the syntax classes `symbol
constituent' and `punctuation character', I propose that `='
should be added to sh-mode-syntax-table as punctuation (now it is
a symbol):

(?= . "_")

The symbol constituent documentation:

===========

 - Syntax class: symbol constituent
     "Symbol constituents" (designated by `_') are the extra characters
     that are used in variable and command names along with word
     constituents.  For example, the symbol constituents class is used
     in Lisp mode to indicate that certain characters may be part of
     symbol names even though they are not part of English words.
     These characters are `$&*+-_<>'.  In standard C, the only
     non-word-constituent character that is valid in symbols is
     underscore (`_').

============

I do not think this applies to `='.

I would tend to consider `$' as punctuation as well, but the case
is less clear.

Regards,

Frederik Fouvry

* Re: [fouvry@CoLi.Uni-SB.DE: `=' not as punctuation in sh-mode syntax table]
@ 2004-05-08 23:03 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-05-08 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Sat, May 08, 2004 at 06:00:09PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> What do people think of this idea?

> From: Frederik Fouvry <fouvry@CoLi.Uni-SB.DE>
>
> I propose that `=' should be added to sh-mode-syntax-table as punctuation

I think it's a good idea.  The current behavior, with `=' as part of a
symbol, often drives me nuts[*].

[*] Mostly because it means that when dynamic-abbrev inserts a completion
    that was found in a variable definition, it includes the definition as
    well -- which I can't delete using backward-kill-word!

-Miles
--
/\ /\
(^.^)