* problem of marker as position
@ 2003-11-19  0:23 Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2003-11-19  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've just noticed that (char-after MARKER) returns a
character in the current buffer even if the buffer of MARKER
is the different one.  I think all such functions that
accept a marker as a position ignores the buffer infomation
of the marker.

It seems that Emacs treats markes as above from the
beginning, so this should be regarded as a feature, not a
bug.  But I could't find a place describing that in info.

lispref/markers.texi has this paragraph.

  A marker specifies a buffer and a position in that buffer.  The marker
can be used to represent a position in the functions that require one,
just as an integer could be used.  @xref{Positions}, for a complete
description of positions.

Shouldn't we say something about the above feature here?

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@m17n.org